Leeks can be intimidating, large and seemingly boring and old-fashioned. However, they are actually quite flavourful and constitute the most quintessential of winter fare. When cooked down into soft, sweet, caramelized goodness in this recipe, you are sure to become a fan in no time.

This dish combines leeks with the sweetness of fennel and savoury of mushrooms in the form of a rustic hand tart fit for any time of day. If you have any extra pie filling, it makes for an awesome filler for grilled cheese as well.

Advanced Course

Prep Time: 50-60 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Servings: 4-6

For the crust:
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
1 egg
1 teaspoon ice water

For the filling:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
16-oz. package cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons white wine
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 fennel bulb, washed, trimmed, and finely chopped
2 large leeks, washed, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise, and chopped into ½-moon slices
¼ cup finely chopped red onion
½ cup grated Fontina cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

Crust Directions:

1. Place the flour, sugar, and salt into a food processor and pulse a few times to mix. Add the bits of butter and pulse until mixture resembles a coarse meal.

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

2. Whisk the egg with the ice water and pour into the food processor a little bit at a time, pulsing once after each addition. You don’t want to overwork the dough.

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

3. Take the dough out onto a counter and roll it into a ball. Be mindful not to overwork the dough. Flatten it with your hands into a small disk, then wrap it in plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

Filling Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.

2. In a large skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté about 10 minutes. Add the thyme and garlic and sauté 1 minute more.

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

3. Add the white wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up the browned bits as you stir, allowing the wine to evaporate. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper to taste and remove the pan from the heat.

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

4. In another large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the fennel, leeks, and shallot. Sauté until soft and beginning to brown, about 10-15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

5. Meanwhile, place the disc of dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll it out into a rough ¼-inch thick square or circle.

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

6. Leaving a 2-inch border, sprinkle the dough with the Fontina cheese, reserving some for topping.

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

7. Mix the mushrooms and leek mixture together in one of the skillets.

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

8. Pour the vegetables into the center of the tart and spread out into an even layer, leaving the 2-inch border.

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

9. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan and remaining Fontina cheese.

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

10. Fold the dough edges over the filling. Don’t worry about the shape too much, as it is intended to look rustic.

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

11. Place in the center of the oven. Bake until the bottom crust is golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.

Leeks

Photo by Brandon Guild

This recipe is adapted from Food52.com.

More good eats with leeks on Spoon University: