A garden brunch combines all of my favorite things in life: friends, brunch food, and a DIY mimosa station. So as soon as the sunny weather came around, I was sending out invites for a classy garden brunch that would blow my friends away. The only problem was that my bank account was less like Blair Waldorf's and more like Rebecca Bloomwood's from Confessions of a Shopaholic.

Translation: I was pretty broke.

Still, I was not to be deterred. I set myself a budget of $50 and got to work. The results were shocking; it was surprisingly easy to provide six people with food, decorations, and booze for less than a fifty. And the best part was that I even had leftovers.

The Place Holders

cake, coffee, tea
Jody Brimacombe

You don't need to splash out a lot of cash for classy place holders. These rosemary place holders cost a grand total of $2.29 to make, and they can double as party favors for your guests to take home.

Running Total: $2.29

The Decorations

water
Jody Brimacombe

Aside from The Bachelorette, Dollarama is my biggest Achilles' heel in life. You can snag these paper lanterns for $1.50 from most dollar stores. Hang them in the tree(s) for an unexpected pop of color over your table.

Running Total: $3.79

The Flowers

sweet, berry
Jody Brimacombe

Flowers make the perfect centerpiece to any classy garden brunch. You don't have to spring for roses; these Peruvian lilies are an epic shade of pink, and they only cost $6.99 from Safeway. Not into the whole flower thing? Check out this edible flower arrangement instead.

Running Total: $10.78

The Drinks

citrus, cocktail, juice
Jody Brimacombe

There's no way around it: booze is expensive. Skip the champagne and opt for Prosecco instead, which can be as cheap as $10 per bottle. Buy a few juices ($3.48), some limes and lemons ($2.67), and you've got yourself a mimosa bar. Feeling fancy? Try adding this rose gold glitter to your Prosecco.

Running Total: $26.93

The Nibbles

cake
Jody Brimacombe

Finger foods are the way to go when it comes to nibbles, and these strawberry crostini will complement any classy garden brunch. Just bake a few slices of fresh baguette ($1.79) with brie cheese ($9.99) on top. Once the cheese has melted, top the crostini with chopped strawberries ($4.99). Leftover ingredients? Not a problem. Have this dark chocolate, strawberry, and brie grilled cheese for lunch the next day.

Running Total: $43.70

The Entrée

muesli, cereal, cake, sweet
Jody Brimacombe

This baked coconut oatmeal is the perfect main course for any classy garden brunch. Not only can it be made with ingredients already found in your cupboard, but it's also vegan and gluten-free. With dietary restrictions becoming more common, it's important to make sure that your main dish is something that all of your guests can enjoy. Serve the oatmeal with yogurt ($4.00), whatever sweetener you have on hand, and the remaining strawberries.

Total Cost: $47.70

Where to Skimp

Jody Brimacombe

If $50 is still too far out of your budget, then you can save money by ditching the Prosecco in favor of some non-alcoholic drinks. You could also try eating seasonally; fruit like blueberries and watermelon are cheaper during the summer months, and easy on your wallet. Take advantage of items that you already have in your pantry, like nuts, seeds, and honey, which you can sprinkle on top of the baked oatmeal.

Final Thoughts

toast, champagne, wine
Jody Brimacombe

Ultimately, a classy garden brunch is more about the type of friends that you have than the bomb decor. Would my friends have cared if I had chosen the wrong type of food pairing with our drinks? No. Probably not. Would they have cared if I was so stressed that I set the kitchen on fire? Yes, probably. Your friends want you to have fun at your own event. So stop stressing about the details, pick up a mimosa, and get brunching.