Spoon University Logo
budgetcabsav
budgetcabsav
Reviews

The 20 Best Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20

New to wine, or looking to upgrade your wine game? Cabernet sauvignon is the ultimate crowd-pleaser, offering bold flavors and a rich finish. Whether you’re a seasoned wine connoisseur or just starting your wine journey, this classic red deserves a spot in your glass – and forget breaking the bank for a stellar bottle of red. But when it comes to cab, how do you know where to start? 

What is cabernet sauvignon?

“I think it is important to note that cabernet sauvignon is a grape, and the most widely planted grape on the planet,” Tyler Balliet of Rebel School of Wine told Spoon University. When it comes to wine, Balliet said it’s helpful to think of grapes like an ingredient in a meal. “If you go to a restaurant and just order “chicken,” you could get chicken nuggets, chicken liver pate, or Cantonese fried chicken feet. All of these dishes are made with chicken but they have wildly different flavors and textures,” noted Balliet. Cabernet sauvignon grapes are the same. 

What is a tannin?

Balliet recommends cabernet sauvignon wines with a bright acidity that are not overpowered by fruitiness or tannins. If you, like me, are wondering WTF a tannin is, they are naturally occurring compounds found in many plants, including grapes. In wine, they primarily come from the skins, seeds, and stems of grapes, and contribute significantly to a wine’s taste, texture, and aging potential.

Lucia Palm, a sommelier and content creator, echoes this sentiment, and recommends looking for a cab that is well balanced. “You don’t want to just smell fruit,” Palm said, but look for a wine with great structure — including a touch of oak (“a sidekick, and not the leading character”) and acidity.

What should I look for in a cabernet sauvignon?

When looking for good cabs on a budget, one tip is to look for wine regions with a cool climate. “Cool climate cabs are some of the best value cabs because they have enough acidity to really balance the wine,” said Palm. “The colder the climate, the more acidic or tart the wine will be.” Palm points to New World Cabs – or wines from non-European regions, such as Australia and New Zealand, North America, and South America (typically Chile or Argentina).

“Just because a bottle of wine is less than $20 does not mean it can’t be great,” Wine Enthusiast Tasting Manager Cody Wexler said. “Usually these wines are very approachable and probably fun to drink without a ton of complexity.”

Just in time for National Wine Day on August 4th, we’ve curated a list of the 20 best cabernet sauvignon wines under $20 — including some of Palm’s top recs — proving you can have a sophisticated sip without sacrificing your summer budget. From bold and juicy California cabs to smooth Chilean classics, get ready to elevate your next dinner party (or Netflix night) with these budget-friendly gems. Time to uncork the world of delicious and affordable Cabernet Sauvignon.

Wondering what to pair your cab with? Palm recommends any grilled meat: “Cabernet sauv is a full bodied powerful wine so you want an equally full bodied, powerful food to stand up to it.” Think grilled lamb chops, grilled steak, or grilled sausages.

#SpoonTip: No matter what you’re drinking, always drink responsibly. Spoon does not promote binge or underage drinking.

1. Sean Minor Cab Sauv from Paso Robles, $18.99

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Sean Minor Wines

Notes of warm raspberry pie and fresh black currants combine with flavors of cedar and spice in this classic cabernet. The finish draws definition from tannins that complement the fruit flavors and highlight the smart craftsmanship of the wine.

2. Apothic Cabernet Sauvignon, $10.07

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Total Wine

This smooth cabernet features hints of jammy dark fruit and aromas of vanilla blend. Highly recommended by my friends and family, this California wine offers a silky smooth texture that boldly lingers on the palate — for just $10.

3. Robert Mondavi Private Selection Cabernet Sauvignon, $12.99

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via WineDeals.com

Ol’ Reliable. This well-balanced cab has sweet black cherry and dark berry fruit that distinguishes it as California’s finest cabernet sauvignons. It’s a premium aged, semi-dry wine with hints of toasty oak, coffee, and vanilla flavors that combine for medium-bodied cabernet sauvignon wine with a bright finish.

4. Daou Cabernet Sauvignon Paso Robles, 2022, $19.97

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Total Wine

“Although mass produced, Daou is affordable and easy to find – making it a good everyday drinker for the general public,” said Palm. The palate combines rich flavors of blackberry with espresso and cocoa, and lingering, tannins extend through the wine’s soft finish. 

5. O’Neill Vintners & Distillers’s Substance, $16.99

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Total Wine

This New World cab harrows from the Columbia Valley in Washington and features aromas of currants, flowers, and walnuts. This medium-bodied cab has a fresh, crisp finish thanks to delicate fruit flavors.

6. Trader Joe’s Diamond Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, $19.99

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Trader Joe’s   

The Napa Valley is home to some of the most prestigious cabernet sauvignon-focused wineries in the entire world, and this particular wine comes from “what is arguably the most famous and influential of them,” according to Trader Joe’s – but they can’t say which. This ruby red wine is stunning and complex, and balanced with rich layers of fruit and elegant tannins.

7. Decoy By Duckhorn Cabernet, $18.07

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
 Photo via Total Wine

Duckhorn Vineyards has been crafting distinctive Bordeaux wine varietals for over 40 years, and this wine showcases great Sonoma County cabernet sauvignon. On the palate, the lush fruit flavors of boysenberry, blackberry, plum and star anise are framed by rich tannins and hints of dark chocolate and barrel spice.

8. Unrated by Concha Y Toro, $19.95

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Bounty Hunter Wine

Unrated is a sexy take on cabernet from Isabel Mitarakis, a master of the varietal. Mitarakis, who is known for being a premium winemaker, utilizes fruit from the best cab estates in Chile to create a cabernet sauvignon with intense, dark red fruit flavors and sweet tannins. Given its premium producer, you can’t beat the price.

9. Rodney Strong Cabernet Sonoma, $16.47

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Total Wine

Aromas of blackberry, cocoa and currant create a rich and layered mouthfeel in Rodney Strong’s cab, which is completed with notes black cherry, cedar and cassis. Lush and mature tannins mean that this wine pairs beautifully with any meat dish.

10. Josh Cellars Cabernet Family Reserve Paso Robles, $19.99

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Total Wine

There’s a reason it was trending on X earlier this year. The 2021 U.S. Winery of the Year offers a full-bodied North Coast cabernet sauvignon bursting with dark fruits and roasted nuts, showcasing rich flavors of black cherries and blackberries with touches of oak and vanilla. Plus, Josh Cellars was the most recommended cab when I polled my Instagram followers, if my friends’ and family’s recommendations mean anything to you. 

11. J. Lohr Seven Oaks Cabernet Sauvignon, $12.47

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Total Wine

Sensing a trend? This time, though, we actually like the J names. Clocking in at just under $13, J. Lohr offers consistent quality and fruit-forward flavors, with an abundance of dark cherry and black currant fruit that’s enhanced by spicy clove and toasty notes.

12. Federalist Cabernet Sauvignon, $13.99

federalistwine
Photo courtesy of The Federalist

This semi-dry cab has a light grip from the tannins that isn’t overpowering, but does offer a rich body and smooth finish. Reviewers say that you can’t beat the price point, and it may be one of the best Cabernet Sauvignons under $20.

13. Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon 2020, $12.07

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Total Wine

With grapes from Columbia Valley, Washington, Chateau Ste. Michelle is an inviting cab with plenty of complexity and structure with silky tannins. It’s a versatile wine that pairs well with a variety of food, especially beef, pork, or pasta.

14. Oberon Napa Valley, $18.88

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Woods Wholesale Wine   

A combination of syrah and merlot help create Oberon’s deep colors, silky tannins, and flavors of vibrant black cherry, candied blackberry and spices. A hint of coffee and dark chocolate create a lingering and delightful finish. Plus, it’s often available at Costco!

15. Francis Coppola Cabernet Sauvignon, $17.89

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Best Buy Liquors

Scents of cocoa, baking spices and toasted oak combine with flavors of mocha, toffee, blue fruits and anise for a cozy cab that pairs well with meatier foods like ribeye steak and portobello mushrooms.

16. Precision Cabernet Sauvignon, $13.99

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Precision Cabernet Sauvignon

Precision’s cab is a not-so-best-kept secret. Though it’s typically valued around $23-$25 for a 750mL bottle, this bold and semi-dry wine is available at Costco for less than $15.

17. Meomi Pinot Noir, $18.17

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Total Wine

Alright, so maybe it’s not a cab … but it drinks like one! This Californian Pinot Noir carries aromas of tobacco, dark red fruits and fresh berries, and its cherry flavor is complemented by notes of cedar, raspberry and strawberry.

18. Casillero del Diablo Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon, $9.97

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Casillero del Diablo

This medium-bodied Chilean cabernet boasts a deep ruby color with strong aromas of red berry fruit that lend themselves to a fresh palate. The medium tannins blend with bright plum and dark cherry flavors into a light herbal finish for a great-value cab.

19. Barton & Guestier Bistro Cabernet Sauvignon 2021, $14.00

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via BGPL USA

This French wine boasts aromas of bright plum and black currant aromas accompanied by distinctive notes of vanilla, with a long, velvety finish thanks to extra-ripe tannins. Pair it with tomato-based dishes, hard cheeses, or a grilled beef tenderloin.

20. Bonanza Cabernet Sauvignon, $20.07

Cabernet Sauvignons Under $20
Photo via Stew Leonard’s Wine & Spirits

The 8 extra cents might just be worth the splurge. Hailing from Paso Robles, CA, this delicious cabernet features flavors of dark berry, vanilla, cassis and toast, and aromas of oak and currant are complemented by a subtle smokiness. Silky tannins create a smooth, easy to drink wine with a long finish.

Kennedy Dierks is a National Contributor at Spoon University, and chapter president of Spoon at Seton Hall University in New Jersey. She covers all things food, and has a soft spot for pop-culture moments, product launches, and the occasional cocktail. Beyond Her Campus, Kennedy plans to pursue medicine and currently works as a medical assistant and clinical researcher. She has written for Teen Vogue, ABC News, and Girl’s Life Magazine, in addition to a number of academic and scholarly journals. She recently graduated from Seton Hall University, where she majored in Biology and Religious Studies while minoring in Art History. Kennedy is currently pursuing a Master’s Degree at Seton Hall’s college of Interprofessional Health Sciences. Kennedy is a Taylor Swift aficionado who is convinced that a New Jersey bagel makes everything better. In her free time, she can be found teaching spin classes at the gym, playing the guitar, designing art for her Redbubble shop, or roaming the aisles of Trader Joe’s looking for her new favorite product.