Spoon University Logo
tjs healthy snacks
tjs healthy snacks
Recipes

The Top 10 Healthy Trader Joe’s Snacks To Add To Your Cart

Picture this: you’re in between meals and your stomach starts to grumble loud enough that people stare at you. You don’t have any snacks with you so you either have to push through the pain or buy something that you don’t really want to eat. We’ve all been there. Trader Joe’s is one of the best places to stop by when it comes to snacks. This guide will show you the best healthy Trader Joe’s snacks to prepare yourself for these types of situations (you can also just snack on these at home).  

Savory

1. Chili and Lime Rolled Corn Tortilla Chips $2.99

I have never been a fan of Taki’s but I love these. These spicy rolled tortilla chips, with a hint of lime, make for an irresistible snack. Trader Joe’s mentions that the reason behind their extra crispiness is that they use less water before frying. You don’t have to worry about excessive chemicals either, the vibrant orange color is “naturally derived from vegetable juice, and paprika and turmeric extracts.” according to the website

Bonus points for gluten-free!

2. Plantain Chips $1.99

Closely related to the banana, plantains are starchy and are typically cooked before eating. Imported from Peru, the thinly sliced chips are cooked in sunflower oil and then sprinkled with salt. They have a somewhat sweet taste and have a thicker texture compared to regular potato chips (they have less fat content too). A popular TJ product, they offer multiple flavors. I recommend the Jerk-Style chips, which are coated with allspice, garlic powder, cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, and ginger extract that make for a savory and slightly spicy taste.

3. Quinoa and Black Bean Infused Tortilla Chips $3.49

All hail the best appetizer to ever exist, chips and salsa. Blended with red quinoa and black beans give the chips an earthy nuttiness with any dip. These gluten-free chips are shaped like a hexagon for optimal grip when pile-driving salsa, queso, or guac.

4. Nut-Butter Filled Pretzels 

You’ve got two options for this one: Almond butter ($4.49) or Peanut butter ($2.49). Whichever tickles your fancy more, they both serve the same purpose. The peanut butter pretzels are always high in demand and ranked in the top ten snacks among Trader Joe’s managers. These are great for school lunches or an after-school snack. You can eat the pretzels alone or Trader Joe’s suggests mixing them in trail mix.

5. Organic Seedy Crackers $3.99

Think Mary’s Gone crackers but cheaper. These hearty crackers are made with brown rice, quinoa, flax, and sesame seeds. The Organic Seedy Crackers are flavored with a bit of umami-forward tamari to give the taste that keeps you saying, “Ok, one more then that’s it,” but you proceed to eat five more. The crackers are perfect for charcuteries because they go with almost everything. Hummus, guacamole, cheese (spectacular with brie and aged gouda, BTW), meats, smoked salmon, tapenade, you name it. Plus, these crackers are gluten-free and vegan!

Sweet

6. Simply Amazing Soft Dried Apricots $ 4.79

This snack has a sweet flavor with a soft, tender, and chewy texture that feels more like you’re eating candy than fruit. Additionally, apricots are high in fiber and naturally contain probiotics. This limited-edition snack has so many benefits that I’m not sure why you aren’t running to your local Trader Joe’s right now.

7. Organic Dark Chocolate Half-Coated Rice Cake Thins $1.99

These are great for the come-and-go sweet tooth you get every once in a while. Rather than a round shape, these are thin squares which are coated with Belgian dark chocolate on one side. The light crispiness is satisfying and holds you over till your next meal.

8. Dark Chocolate-Covered Pistachios $3.99

These guys are the perfect balance between savory and sweet. The salted California-grown pistachios are complemented with rich dark chocolate. Great for trail mixes, charcuterie, and as a palate cleanser for an at-home wine-tasting party.

9. Slightly Coated Dark Chocolate Almonds $4.99

Another nut and chocolate combo if you’re not a fan of pistachios. However, these are made with the intention of a lighter chocolate-to-nut ratio (20/80). In response to a high demand from customers to make a sweet snack that had less sugar content, Trader Joe’s released these chocolate almonds. Compared to other chocolate-dipped fruits and/or nuts, these are dipped in chocolate for only a moment and then topped off with cocoa powder and sea salt.

10. Five Seed Almond Bars $4.99

Last but certainly not least, almond bars. This snack is as if an Italian biscotti and a granola bar had a baby. It’s the best of both worlds. Have any time of day: breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even dessert! Thin like a biscotti, it’s perfect for dipping in your coffee, mixing into yogurt, or handheld. Nutty like a granola bar, it includes five seeds – flax, sesame, poppy, sunflower, and pumpkin – and is flavored with cinnamon, cloves, and vanilla.

Hi! My name is Julia Lagano and I am a senior at Virginia Tech studying Multimedia Journalism, French with a minor in Italian. Born and raised in Springfield, VA, I grew up doing dive and being a benchwarmer for my high school's lacrosse team. I knew I was destined for food journalism when I made monthly food review packages for my school's broadcasting class (A/V nerd). Flash forward to college, I started as a Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise major but chemistry is not my strong suit...at all. You can catch me on the airwaves during the school year on the student-run radio station at VT! I love music: rock, 90s hiphop (please don't make me choose between Tupac and Biggie Smalls, they're both good), R&B, jazz, soul, you name it. Outside of school, I enjoy traveling, cooking and baking, reading, movie nights, drawing, shopping, and sewing. I like to pretend that I am an expert in sewing which sets me up for failure when I attempt to rework clothes. I have a goal to read 20 books this year but I'm currently behind schedule on that (oops).