Spoon University Logo
tjbestwhitewines
tjbestwhitewines
Reviews

The 8 Best (& Worst) White Wines From Trader Joe’s

There’s nothing like a glass of chilled white wine on a summer’s day, especially from Trader Joe’s. They have a wide selection of wines from all over the world that are affordable and good quality. I picked eight white wines at random and held a wine tasting for my friends. I did a little bit of research before (as in I searched “Trader Joe’s best white wines” on TikTok and compiled the answers).

I wanted to have a wide variety of white wines. I picked three sauvignon blancs, one pinot grigio, and one chardonnay because those were the ones that came to mind immediately. Then, I randomly picked three types (chenin blanc, vouvray, and vinho verde) that I have never heard of before. During the tasting, we scored the wines based on taste and compared the flavors of each wine. What made the tasting interesting was that each friend had a different preference on wines: one liked red, some liked sweet, one had no preference, and I gravitate towards whites and rosés. Because of this, the scores were all over, so I calculated the average for each wine. I must say that we are not wine experts, so we turned to the Vivino app for help to look at the more intricate descriptions of the wines. Here are the best (and not so great) white wines from Trader Joe’s.

1. Ports de Bordeaux, $7.49

White Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Trader Joe’s

This sauvignon blanc is a crisp white wine with a bold flavor from the Bordeaux region of France. On the drier side, you can taste notes of citrus such as lemon and grapefruit.

Score: 3/10

It was watery and I did not taste any citrus notes. This was the least favorite of the group because of the lack of flavor and ultra dryness of the wine.

2. Vin de Bordeaux Sauvignon de Seguin, $6.99

White Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Trader Joe’s

This wine is special in that it is only produced with grapes from the Entre-Deux-Mers area in Bordeaux. Again, it’s a dry wine with a bold flavor of citrus as well as lemongrass.

Score: 5/10

If you like dry wines, you’ll be a fan of this one. This was the first wine we tried in our tasting, and what was interesting was that one person scored a five at first then changed her score to a three after a few sips. I also had the same thought; on first sip it was okay but the more that I drank, it became less appealing to me.

3. Trader Joe’s Grower’s Reserve Chardonnay, $5.99

White Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Trader Joe’s

The Grower’s Reserve wines are produced from organic grapes. It is a smooth, medium-bodied wine. It is not crisp, but rather it has a soft finish. There are hints of apple, vanilla, and oak. Red wine fans would probably gravitate towards this one the most.

Score: 5.5/10

I liked the smoothness and mildness of this chardonnay. I’m used to powerful zing and crisp white wines that the neutral flavor was unexpected. The downside for me was the oak; it gave the wine a smokey taste which was nice. However, I felt that it overtook the wine and all you could taste was oak. I liked it but I wouldn’t repurchase.

4. Mbali Chenin Blanc, $5

White Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Trader Joe’s

The wine comes from the Western Cape of South Africa, which I didn’t know was a wine region until going to Trader Joe’s, so obviously, I had to try it out. This wine leans on the drier side of the spectrum with the flavors of fruits like melon, passion fruit, guava, lychee, and tangerine.

Score: 6/10

When reading the description of the wine, I had the expectation of it being a sweeter wine. I was totally thrown off when I tasted the dry and acidic flavor. I think if I didn’t have that preconceived notion, I would’ve liked it better on the first sip. This is one I’ll have to retry later on.

5. Giardino Pinot Grigio delle Venezie, $5

White Wines From Trader Joe’s
Giardino Pinot Grigio delle Venezie

From northern Italy, this pinot grigio is very dry with light and crisp flavors of apples and pears. Additionally, it is a sparkling wine so you get extra crisp with the bubbles. Pairs well with light meals such as pasta, seafood, chicken, and salad.

Score: 6.5/10

The group had a collective ranking of a 6 to 7 score. I liked the bubbles, as they were subtle and gave the same level of a seltzer. Its light flavor combined with the dryness gives the wine a powerful zing and it’s crisp for sure, great for a hot summer’s day. I would buy this wine again and have it with seafood like shrimp and a light pasta so I can pretend that I’m in Europe.

6. Josh Sauvignon Blanc, $11

White Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Trader Joe’s

This Californian wine is bright, crisp, and clean with a citrus flavor with hints of kiwi. It is dry, balanced, and acidic. It pairs well with seafood, salads, and grilled chicken.

Score: 7/10

I originally bought this wine as a joke after seeing it on X and Instagram, but it really surprised me. I thought maybe I wasn’t a fan of sauvignon blancs after tasting the first two wines, but Josh proved me wrong. It was smooth and went down nice despite being dry. Definitely worth it and I will be repurchasing.

7. Vignobles Lacheteau Vouvray, $8

White Wines From Trader Joe’s
Photo via Trader Joe’s

Grown in the Loire Valley east of Tours, France, wine makers use chenin blanc grapes to concoct this beverage. With flavors of acacia, pear, and almond, this wine pairs well with cheeses, spicy dishes or Indian food.

Score: 8/10

If you like sweeter wines, this one’s for you. It has a sweeter taste but it’s balanced by its acidity. It’s smooth and easy to drink, I am curious to try it the next time I get Indian takeout.

8. Espiral Vinho Verde, $5.50

White Wines From Trader Joe’s
Espiral Vinho Verde

This Portuguese wine is fresh and crisp. “Vinho verde” translates to “green wine,” but it really means “young grape,” which describes the winemaking process. It is a medium dry wine, acidic and has slight bubbles. The crispness comes from the notes of green apples and citrus; it’s like a sweet tart candy, perfect for a summer’s day.

Score: 9/10

By far my favorite wine I’ve ever had. The dryness gives it that crisp flavor that keeps it light and refreshing. The price rocks for the high quality of this wine. I could drink a whole bottle by myself.

Hi! My name is Julia Lagano and I am a senior at Virginia Tech. I'm majoring in Multimedia Journalism, French and I have a minor in Italian (I love to learn languages). I am Belgian-American with Italian roots on my dad's side, hence the reason behind picking up those two languages in particular. I was born and raised in Springfield, VA which is about 20 minutes from D.C. I grew up doing dive and being a benchwarmer for my high school's lacrosse team. I always was a part of my school's morning news and announcements but my interest in journalism didn't pique until high school when I became involved in the broadcast journalism program. With the rise of YouTubers' happening at the same time, I really got into creating videos and video editing. My senior year, I actually made monthly food review packages with my group. Flash forward to college, I started as a Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise major but chemistry is not my strong suit...at all. Now as a journalism major, I'm much happier and I'm actually a part of my school's student-run radio station! I love music: rock, 90s hiphop (please don't make me choose between Tupac and Biggie Smalls, they're both good), R&B, jazz, soul, you name it. This past school year I hosted a weekly jazz show where I talked about jazz history and all things related to outer space! It was one of the highlight's of my year. Outside of school, I enjoy traveling, cooking and baking, reading, movie nights, going for walks, drawing, shopping, and sewing. I like to pretend that I am an expert in sewing which sets me up for failure when I attempt to rework clothes. I have a goal to read 20 books this year but I'm currently behind schedule on that (oops). I am currently working my way through the James Bond movies as well, I try my best not to doze off. That's another thing, I am a big napper, I love them. It's a big accomplishment if I can get through the day without taking a nap or an "all-dayer," if you will. I'm happy to be in the writer's program and super excited to collaborate with everyone! :D