Ice cream is one of my favorite sweet treats and it's a wonderful way to cool off during these hot summer months. Whether you're craving cookie dough, mint chip, peanut butter or vanilla, there is a flavor for you. I've even tried Play Doh inspired ice cream before! If you're a sucker for classic vanilla ice cream, Nielsen-Massey Vanillas has shared three recipes with us that will definitely satisfy your sweet cravings this summer. 

1. Vanilla Ice Cream

Photo Courtesy of Nielsen-Massey Vanillas

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Servings: 1.5 pints

-1 1/4 cups heavy cream

-1 1/4 cups whole milk

-2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure -Vanilla Bean Paste or Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract

-3 large free-range egg yolks

-1/2 cup superfine sugar 

1. Combine heavy cream and milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir occasionally, until almost boiling and small bubbles appear on the edge. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla bean paste or extract and set aside for 30 minutes to let the vanilla infuse.

2. In a large bowl with a whisk or handheld mixer, beat together egg yolks and sugar for about 2 minutes, until mixture is paler in color and falls from the whisk in thick ribbons. Add a ½ cup of the cream mixture and whisk to combine. Reheat the remaining cream mixture until almost boiling. Remove from heat and stir the egg mixture into the saucepan.

3. Return the pan to a low heat, stirring constantly for 8-10 minutes, until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not let it boil – remove from the heat as soon as any surface bubbles are about to burst. Let custard cool to room temperature.

4. Turn on your ice cream machine and slowly pour in the cooled custard. Churn for 10-30 minutes, depending on machine instructions. Freeze churned ice cream base in a freezer-safe container for at least 2 hours before serving. 

Recipe by Chef Eric Lanlard (a.k.a Cake Boy), a UK Chef, TV host, Master Pâtissier and cookbook author. 

2. Roasted Banana Bourbon Milkshake

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes 

Servings:

-1-2 bananas

-1-2 tablespoons sugar, for sprinkling

-3 cups vanilla bean ice cream

-1 1/2 cups whole milk

-1/4 cup bourbon

-1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste

-3-4 ice cubes if you prefer a thicker milkshake, optional

-Whipped cream for garnish, optional

-Chocolate syrup for garnish, optional 

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Slice bananas lengthwise and place on prepared baking tray. Sprinkle an even, thin layer of sugar over each banana half. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until bananas are soft and sticky. Let cool completely.

3. Blend bananas, ice cream, milk, bourbon, vanilla bean paste and ice cubes (optional) for 30 seconds – 1 minute, until fully combined. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate syrup and serve immediately.

Recipe by Brunch Bites

3. Nielsen-Massey Vanillas Peach & Bourbon Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Prep Time: 40 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes cook time, 40 minutes freeze time

Servings: 6-8

-2 cups heavy whipping cream

-1 cup, plus one tablespoon whole milk, divided

-3/4 cup granulated sugar

-2 teaspoons cornstarch

-1 1/4 cup diced peaches, fresh or canned*

-1 1/2 tablespoons Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure -Vanilla Bean Paste

-1 cup peach nectar

-1/4 teaspoon salt

-3 tablespoons bourbon

*Fresh peaches should be very ripe 

1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add heavy whipping cream, one cup of whole milk and sugar. Whisk until the sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to a boil. Boil for 3-5 minutes and allow the mixture to thicken, whisking occasionally.

2. While the mixture is boiling, add cornstarch and one tablespoon milk to a small bowl. Mix together to create a smooth paste. Add the cornstarch mixture to the pot and continue boiling for 1-2 minutes.

3. Remove the pot from heat and add the peaches, vanilla bean paste, peach nectar and salt. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture into a heat-proof medium bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least two hours.

4. Once the mixture has cooled completely, remove from the refrigerator and stir in the bourbon. Follow the instructions on your ice cream maker to churn the ice cream. Place the churned ice cream in a freezer-safe and covered container. Freeze for at least four hours.

5. Allow ice cream to soften for 1-2 minutes before serving. 

Stay connected with Nielsen-Massey Vanillas by following them on Facebook and Instagram.