Avocado Toast was one of the biggest food trends of 2016. So what's in store for 2017? Three words: avocado spinach pesto. This pesto is perfect for those nights when you're craving a nice, warm bowl of pasta but are tired of boring marinara. Or you just worked out and are in serious need of some protein but can't even think about eating the dry, bland dining hall food.

With New Year's resolutions and spring break right around the corner, something flavorful, healthy, and quick is what we all need to get us through the end of the semester. For all of you vegans out there, this pesto is one sauce that you can feed to all of your carnivore friends and they won't even be able to tell there isn't dairy in it. This pesto is creamy and light, so go ahead and grab that second bowl of pasta.

Avocado-Spinach Pesto

• 1 avocado
  • 1-2 cups fresh spinach
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 3-5 basil leaves
  • 1/2-1 cup water as needed
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1 drizzle olive oil
  • Pasta
pasta, vegetable, herb, soup
Nikki D'Ambrosio

Begin cooking pasta and slice avocado into halves, then into cubes.

Add cubed avocado, spinach, garlic, basil leaves, water, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and olive oil to NutriBullet while pasta cooks.

vegetable, avocado
    Nikki D'Ambrosio

Blend for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Add water if the pesto seems too thick.

tea
    Nikki D'Ambrosio

Drain pasta, combine with pesto sauce, and enjoy!