Recently, it seems like kale, quinoa, and kombucha have made way for a new item in the health foods aisle at your local grocery store: turmeric. This bright yellow spice is traditionally used in Southeast Asian cuisine and gives curry its trademark golden color. Turmeric boasts many health benefits, including stronger immunity, higher metabolism, and most notably, strong anti-inflammatory effects. In addition to bottles of powdered turmeric, many health food stores sell turmeric pills, drink mixes, and chews. The newest addition to our long list of turmeric-based foods? Turmeric lattes. 

One of our favorite coffee chains has officially jumped onto the turmeric trend. In January, Peet’s Coffee introduced a new line of turmeric-containing “Golden Beverages.” The Golden Latte, Golden Cappuccino, and Golden Chai are all delicious and insanely good for you.

Ellie Yamanaka

As a fan of both turmeric and Peet’s, I knew I had to try the Golden Latte as soon as I heard about it. I've tried many turmeric drinks and blends before, but found most to be too bitter, powdery, or strong for my taste. However, I fell in love with Peet's Golden Latte instantly. It’s a delicious espresso blend of milk, honey, and ginger that smoothly complements the bitter hints of turmeric. 

As much as I'd like to buy a Golden Latte every day, I'm living on a student budget. After a bit of experimentation, I figured out how to make a pretty darn close version of this turmeric latte at home. So if you’re looking for a delicious way to incorporate turmeric into your diet, or are also a fan of Peet’s Golden Latte, here’s how to make your own at home. 

Peet's Golden Latte

• Prep Time:1 min

• 1 - 2 shots espresso or strongly brewed coffee
  • 1 cup 2% or nonfat milk
  • 1/4 tsp ginger powder
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp honey
  • Milk frother
Ellie Yamanaka

Brew espresso or strongly brewed coffee.

Ellie Yamanaka

Pour 1 to 2 shots of espresso into a mug or glass, depending on your preference.

Ellie Yamanaka

Pour milk into a saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir frequently, and heat until milk is just about to boil. (If you’re feeling lazy, just microwave milk until it’s hot.)

Ellie Yamanaka

Remove milk from heat and pour into mug with espresso. Add ginger powder, honey, and turmeric. Use milk frother to froth for about 15 seconds, or until there is an inch of foam on top.

Ellie Yamanaka

This simple recipe will take you fewer than five minutes and is the perfect way to add a healthy boost to your morning cup of joe. If you’re curious about the new turmeric trend, or you just want to try something new, this is the recipe for you. Peet's Golden Latte is a smooth, comforting, and wintery turmeric drink with plenty of health benefits. Now you can follow this simple recipe to make these colorful, soothing, Peet's-inspired lattes at home. It's time to ditch the Pumpkin Spice Lattes and get ready to fall in love with turmeric lattes instead. Chances are, you'll never look back.