It's that time of year again. Temperatures are dropping and the sniffles are more audible than ever. During the winter, I always happen to be one of the many that comes down with a common cold. Usually it's just the sniffles and coughing, but it can also be worse. Looking to alleviate the ailments of the common cold, I did some research and came across the benefits of turmeric milk. So I made it from scratch and tried it for myself.
chocolate, cream, sweet, tea, milk, coffee
Katie Davidson

Turmeric Milk is a simple 5-ingredient recipe that claims to have an array of benefits—including anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral elements. Most of these benefits are delivered by the turmeric itself, however studies show that the addition of black pepper (while ingesting turmeric) helps its absorption into your bloodstream. 

Looking to reap the many benefits of what  this drink has to offer, I decided to try drinking this remedy once a day over the course of 4 days. The first thing that I noticed is that it's seriously potent. Woof. However, this assault to your senses actually helps if your nose is congested and your sinuses are blocked. 

cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, relish, coffee, sweet, curry, condiment
Katie Davidson

Although I realize that there is no cure for the common cold, elements of this drink (such as honey) can deliver soothing benefits to relieve sore throats and coughs. Studies have shown that drinking turmeric with milk helps to sooth that nagging tickle in your throat, and help you get in those precious eight hours of sleep. 

The Verdict:

dairy product, milk, soup, cream
Katie Davidson

After drinking turmeric milk over the course of 4 days, I don't think it actually cured my cold. However, it did deliver some interesting benefits. By the end of the 4 days, my cough was completely gone, and my sinuses were (for the most part) cleared up and I was free to breathe once again. For anyone looking for alternatives to popping cold meds all day, I recommend introducing turmeric milk into your cold-fighting routine. Just a warning though, this stuff is a punch to your pallet.  

Below is the recipe for turmeric milk that I drank. I used almond milk instead of cow milk, but any variety should deliver the same benefits. 

Turmeric Milk

• 1 cup milk - can use cow - almond - coconut - soy - or any other non-dairy alternative
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 tablespoon raw honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Pinch black pepper
herb, broth, garlic, parsley, vegetable, bread, cream, soup
Katie Davidson

Heat up your milk in a pot over the stove, or in the microwave.

curd, pudding, sweet, yogurt, coffee, dairy product, cream, milk
    Katie Davidson

Add turmeric and whisk to combine. Stir in the honey and cinnamon and mix well. Add in the black pepper and stir. Pour into a mug of your choice and enjoy!

egg, cream
    Katie Davidson