Say hello to mezcal. Have you met? Bold and smoky, this spirit drinks like a scotch but is made from our old familiar friend, the agave plant. Certainly a more obscure and mysterious spirit compared to the party-goer favorite, tequila, mezcal is an incredibly complex and earthy spirit. So what is exactly is mezcal and how do you drink it?

The word mezcal translates from Nahuatl, the language of the Aztecs, to “oven-cooked agave.” The heart of the agave plant, also known as the piña, is roasted in an underground pit filled with wood and volcanic rocks, which gives mezcal its distinct earthy vibe. While both tequila and mezcal have to be made in specific regions to earn their names, mezcal can be produced in most Mexican states from over thirty different varieties of blue agave. This leaves consumers with a wide array of flavor profiles when selecting a mezcal.

Mezcal is now found on swankier craft cocktail menus as bartenders find versatility with a spirit that sips well on its own but also adds depth and complexity in cocktails. If you're new to mezcal, a cocktail is a perfect way to be introduced to this brazen spirit. Here are three cocktail recipes to get you digging the mezcal.

Mezcal, Green Chartreuse, Cherry, and Lime

• Prep Time:0
  • Cook Time:0
  • Total Time:0

• 3/4 oz. mezcal
  • 3/4 oz. cherry liqueur
  • 3/4 oz. green chartreuse
  • 3/4 oz. lime juice
  • 1 black cherry
ice, cocktail, iced tea, juice, liquor, sweet, tea, rum, alcohol
Alexandra Redmond

Combine mezcal, cherry liqueur, green chartreuse, and lime juice in a shaker with ice.

Shake for approximately 10 seconds and strain into a rocks glass with fresh ice. Garnish with lime and black cherry.

Mezcal & Grapefruit Cocktail

• Prep Time:0
  • Cook Time:0
  • Total Time:0

• 1 1/2 oz. Mezcal
  • 1 oz. grapefruit liqueur
  • 1/2 oz. lemon juice
  • 2 dashes Angostura bitters
  • club doda
  • 1 grapefruit half wheel
ice, cocktail, juice, liquor, sweet, alcohol, iced tea
Alexandra Redmond

Add bitters to a rocks glass and add the remaining liquids.

Add ice and stir for approximately 10 seconds. Top with club soda and garnish with grapefruit half-wheel.

Smoky & Fruity Mezcal Cocktail

• Prep Time:0
  • Cook Time:0
  • Total Time:0

• 2 oz. mezcal
  • 1/2 oz. orange juice
  • 3/4 oz. lemon juice
  • 1/2 oz. pineapple juice
  • 1/2 oz. agave syrup
  • 4 dashes Hellfire Bitters Shrub
  • orange peel
cocktail, juice, tequila, lemon, alcohol, wine
Alexandra Redmond

Combine all ingredients (excluding orange peel) in a shaker with ice. Shake for approximately 10 seconds and strain into martini or couple glass.Garnish with orange peel.

So be bold and daring and shake yourself up a mezcal cocktail, maybe without the notorious worm in the bottle. Happy drinking!