Tequila gets a bad rap. It’s known to make you cry, fight and profess your love to your high school ex at 2 am over text. But, there are actually many benefits to picking tequila over other types of alcohol.

1. It reduces blood sugar

tequila

Photo by Katherine Richter

Agavins, the natural occurring sugars found in tequila, were proved to reduce blood sugar, especially compared to other sugars found in other alcohols. These sugars can’t be metabolized by humans, meaning they don’t contribute to blood sugar levels. You know what that means: the four cookies you ate earlier totally don’t count anymore.

2. It can aid in weight loss

tequila

Photo by Nicole Laszlo

Thanks to agavins, tequila has also been proven to aid in weight loss and even limit the development of fat. Say goodbye to alcohol bloat! Tequila shots are basically a diet food.

3. It lowers your cholesterol

tequila

Photo courtesy of bngrill.com

Tequila was also found to lower levels of LDL cholesterol, the bad kind of cholesterol that builds up in the walls of blood vessels from eating red meat, eggs and other high-fat animal products.

4. It cleanses your colon

tequila

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Scientists found that agave, the main ingredient in tequila, works as an effective way to deliver drugs to the colon. It’s even more effective than conventional drug delivery systems. This is great news for anyone suffering from Crohn’s disease, IBS and other colon-related illnesses. Medicinal marijuana is so old news, we’re ready for medicinal margaritas.

5. It may help fight your next cold

tequila

GIF courtesy of giphy.com

Historically, Mexican doctors prescribed tequila shots with lime to help fight the common cold. Sure, maybe this one is a bit of a stretch, but a tequila shot sounds like much more fun than Dayquil.

6. It helps prevent osteoporosis

tequila

Photo by Stephanie Lee

According to the American Cancer Society, the agave in tequila also promotes the absorption of calcium, which strengthens bones and prevents bone-related diseases like osteoporosis. We’ll let you be the ones to try chasing tequila with milk though.

7. It makes you a better dancer

tequila

Photo courtesy of giphy.com

Or at least it makes you think you’re a better dancer. On second thought, maybe it’s time for you to go home. I think you’ve taken too many tequila shots. No, seriously, the Macarena is not cool. It never was.

Drink responsibly. Drink tequila.