During college, spending birthdays apart from your hometown friends can be difficult, and I often find myself wondering how I can show my love to them even if we are miles apart. This is where the beautiful world of the Internet comes into play. There are many online bakeries that can make ordering your friend a special treat that much easier. Here are my top five places to order treats from for your friend's birthday, so that they can have something sweet waiting for them on their special day.

Plus, you can keep these online bakeries in mind for other occasions such as Christmas, anniversaries, or even just as a little pick-me-up for yourself. Everybody deserves a little treat! 

1. Baked by Melissa

Baked by Melissa is a woman-founded bakery that specializes in mini cupcakes. It has an assortment of fun flavors from Peanut Butter & Jelly to Double Chocolate Cookie Dough. Even better, there are vegan, gluten-free, and nut-free options so all of our friends with dietary restrictions can enjoy them, too. Although store-front locations are on the East Coast, you can order from their website and ship the goodies anywhere in the United States. The mini cupcake assortment boxes are the perfect treat to send for your friend's birthday.

2. Insomnia Cookies

Insomnia Cookies is one of the most well-known establishments in many college towns, and these delicious cookies can be delivered right to your friends' doorsteps past midnight. Not only can you choose from an assortment of classic cookie flavors, but you can also create custom boxes with cookies and icing. My personal favorites are the Red Velvet or the Snickerdoodle cookie with the cream cheese frosting. This is definitely a great option so that people can share the sugary surprise with their friends.

3. Milk Bar

Known for its layered, confetti birthday cake, Milk Bar will freshly bake and flash-freeze your online order to maintain its top-notch quality throughout the shipping process. It prides itself on changing up the traditional dessert scene with creative cookie flavors like Cornflake Chocolate Chip Marshmallow or Blueberry & Cream. They also have birthday cake truffles, reconstructed from cake scraps mixed with their buttercream frosting. I recommend shipping these treats to the person who would appreciate a unique cake for their celebration.

4. Edible Arrangements

Edible Arrangements is definitely a staple online location for sending treats on your friend’s birthday. Inspired by flower arrangements, it creates fresh fruit bouquets with fun shapes like pineapple hearts and chocolate-covered strawberries. You can pick from a wide variety of arrangements, such as festive balloons and extra boxes of assorted chocolates. Edible Arrangements add a level of sophistication that is perfect for those who prefer something besides cake or cookies.

5. Mrs. Fields Cookies

Mrs. Fields has some of the best cookies in the game. While it has cookie tins and gift baskets available for purchase, you must try out the cookie cake. You cannot go wrong with ordering the perfect chocolate chip cookies topped with gooey frosting for your friends. You can also design cakes with a custom message for your bestie's birthday.

#SpoonTip: Heat up your slice of cookie cake in the microwave and top it with ice cream for the perfect "pizookie" moment. The warm cookie and cold ice cream combination is so heavenly, it’s bound to make anyone’s birthday the best one yet.

Hopefully, this dessert guide will help you find the perfect present to send to your friends on the day when they deserve some extra love. For the more classic dessert, try out Mrs. Fields Cookies or Insomnia Cookies, and for a more diverse menu be sure to shop online at Milk Bar or Baked by Melissa. No matter what you choose, your long-distance besties will def appreciate the sentiment and the sugar.