When you think about vegan-friendly breakfast options, chances are good that elaborate dishes come to mind, like meticulously arranged avocado toast and expensive smoothie bowls loaded with toppings. However, vegan meals don't need to be that complicated, and are actually easier to make when you're in a rush since you don't need to cook any eggs or bacon.

These 20 vegan breakfast ideas in particular prove how easy it is to cook a filling breakfast that's free of animal products first thing in the morning. You can prep most of these recipes at the beginning of the week and microwave them in the morning, but a few require about five minutes of time in the morning.

1. Chia and Flax Microwave Oatmeal

sweet, cereal, milk, blueberry, muesli, oatmeal, porridge, berry, yogurt, granola
Becky Hughes

Oatmeal is your best bet when you need a hearty breakfast fast. Chia and flaxseed fill you up easily thanks to the healthy fats they contain. Combined with the fiber from the oats this combination makes for the perfect, quick meal. Top with some peanut butter for extra protein and scoop your oats into a jar for breakfast on the go. 

2. Vegan Cookie Dough Breakfast Bowls

Want cookie dough for breakfast, but also want to start your day out on the right path? Been there, craved that. That’s why I love these vegan cookie dough bowls from Food Fitness Faith. Made with chickpeas as the base, they provide plant-based protein, healthy fats, and tons of flavor for the perfect quick vegan breakfast.

3. Vegan Lemon Breakfast Bread

cake, sweet, pastry, bread, cookie, candy, chocolate, muffin
Emily Stamp

If oats aren’t your thing, preparing this vegan lemon breakfast bread is the move. It’s got tons of flavor and you can slather on some peanut butter for a filling, quick breakfast. Simply make a loaf on Sunday and you got breakfast for the week. You can also slice this loaf and freeze it to keep it fresh for longer. 

4. Lemon Blueberry Vegan Baked Oatmeal

This lemon blueberry vegan baked oatmeal from Fit Foodie Finds is the perfect combination of spring and summer flavors. Prep a big batch of it for the week, slather some nut butter or yogurt on top, and enjoy it while running out the door (like we all are).

5. Perfect Vegan Waffles

cookie, sweet, wheat, bread, pastry, candy, cake
Emma Brant

If you want to make your Monday feel like a Saturday, make a big batch of these vegan waffles. Like the lemon brad, you’ll need to make a batch on Sunday (or whichever day you're free) and you’ll be good to go for the week. Cook down some frozen fruit on the stove until it's mushy and top your waffles with it instead of maple syrup. 

#SpoonTip:  Add in a scoop of vegan protein powder to make these bad boys extra hearty.

6. Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins

Chocolate for breakfast is never a bad idea, and these bakery-style chocolate chip banana muffins from Half Baked Harvest prove it. These are refined sugar-free, and make for a great grab-and-go breakfast. Pair your muffin with an apple or another piece of fruit for a well-rounded meal.

7. Vegan & Gluten-Free Breakfast Cookies

sweet, blueberry, chocolate
Austin Lai

Never have a met a breakfast cookie I didn’t like, and these are no exception. Made with good-for-you ingredients like ripe bananas, oats, and flaxseed, you've got yourself a healthy treat that will actually fill you up.

8. Peanut Butter Cup Oatmeal

Danielle Clark

Shameless self promo here, but this peanut butter cup oatmeal from my blog, Danielle’s Kitchen, is a must. It tastes like a Reese's peanut butter cup without all the added sugars and nonsense, and it’s ready in just under 20 minutes.

#SpoonTip: To cut the cooking time for this recipe, use instant oats or old-fashioned oats instead of rolled oats. 

9. Vegan Cashew Cream Cheese

Say hello to your new favorite bagel spread. This vegan cashew cream cheese from Hummusapien is made with cashews, meaning it has more protein and healthy fats than your average cream cheese. Slather it on a bagel for a quick vegan breakfast that will leave you full for hours.

#SpoonTip: To make this lunch or dinner-appropriate, top your bagel with sliced veggies as well. 

10. Vegan Carrot Cake Waffles

Kristine Mahan

Like the other waffles on this list, adding in a scoop of vegan protein powder to this recipe will keep you satisfied for longer. You can also make a big batch of these waffles and freeze them. Just pop a waffle in the toaster like you would an Eggo waffle and dig in.

11. Coconut Latte Overnight Oats

If you’re looking to switch up your overnight oatmeal game, these coconut latte overnight oats from Fit Foodie Finds are a MUST. Coconut and coffee go hand in hand, and the healthy fats from the coconut will leave you more satisfied. It's the perfect quick breakfast, made the night before and ready to go in the morning.

12. Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal

meat
Courtney Heier

To make this spiced oatmeal vegan, swap out the Greek yogurt for some dairy-free yogurt, use almond milk instead of dairy milk, and use maple syrup instead of honey. Feel free to adjust the spices as well to suit your tastes.

13. Vegan Paleo Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Make a big batch of these muffins at the beginning of the week and grab a few on the way out the door. If you're packing these muffins in your backpack, make sure to store them in a sturdy container (like Tupperware) to prevent them from getting squished.

14. Chia Seed Overnight Oats

Maggie Harriman

This chia seed oatmeal packs in a good amount of fiber and healthy fats. The addition of fruit provides natural sweetness and lots of flavor. This type of recipe is particularly good for using up fruits that have started to go a bit soft on your counter since the ingredients all get mashed together anyway.

15. Ginger Berry Smoothie

When summer rolls around, all I want is a big smoothie, and this ginger berry smoothie from Minimalist Baker is the best way to satisfy those cravings. The ginger provides a boost of antioxidants, and the berries provide natural sweetness. If you prefer thick smoothies, add less almond milk than the recipe calls for.

16. Banana Oat Cookies

peanut, butter, peanut butter, granola, caramel
Maia Vernacchia

These banana oat cookies contain healthy fats from the peanut butter, fiber from the oats, and natural sweetness from the banana. Use agave nectar or maple syrup instead of honey, and you got yourself a vegan breakfast that tastes like dessert. These cookies would also make a good mid-morning snack.

17. Baked Vegan Blueberry Donuts

Move over, grocery store donuts. We've got a new mainstay in the donut department, thanks to these baked vegan donuts from Emilie Eats. Baked, not fried, and made with wholesome ingredients, they’re way better than anything you can find at the store. If you don't have a donut pan, I bet you could use a muffin tin instead (baking times might vary, though).

18. Chocolate Chia Pudding

milk, cream, chocolate, sweet, coffee, mousse, pudding, dairy product, chocolate mousse
Jamie Hegg

I crave chocolate for breakfast almost daily, which is why I love making this chocolate chia pudding. Chia seeds are full of healthy omega’s and fats, which is what gives your brain the fuel it needs for the day. 

19. Almond Butter Power Muffins

I’m finishing off the list with yet another shameless self promo of my own blog. These almond butter power muffins are one of my favorite things to make when I know I have a busy week, thanks to the healthy fats from the nut butter and fiber from the oats. 

No elaborate plating or crazy expensive ingredients are needed to make these vegan breakfast ideas. My personal favorites are the almond butter power muffins (I may be biased) and the vegan baked blueberry donuts because they can be frozen in bulk and enjoyed whenever I'm hungry. Once you figure out which of these recipes work best for your busy schedule, don't be afraid to make them week after week—you can always shake things up by adding different mix-ins and toppings.