Tofu. You either cringe and back away slowly at the thought or embrace the fact that there's an option to eat other than salad. While I place myself in the latter category, I'm sure I'm not the first to admit that tofu by itself is gross. It's white, slimy, tasteless, and downright unappetizing to look at. Here are 15 vegan tofu recipes you can make in 30 minutes or less that will please even the pickiest of meat eaters. 

As someone who's had their fair share of tofu fails, the most important step in properly preparing tofu is the pressing process. By wrapping the tofu in paper towel and squishing it for at least 10 minutes under something heavy (like a textbook gathering dust under your bed), the excess water is drained. Some of the vegan tofu recipes included in this article call for silken tofu, so please be sure to read carefully. 

1. Energy Boosting Smoothie

smoothie, sweet, juice
Christin Urso

You've added spinach, you diligently sprinkle chia seeds on top, and you add just enough milk to make it creamy but not so much that your smoothie is a liquid-y mess. You've got the art of smoothie making perfected, right?

I'm guessing you never thought of adding tofu. With the addition of silken (not pressed!) tofu, this smoothie is incredibly rich and smooth and is full of protein, iron, and healthy fats. 

2. Mango Raspberry Smoothie Bowl

berry, vegetable, strawberry, sweet, blueberry
Julia Portnoff

Smoothie bowls are perfect for people who prefer to actually chew their food. Fresh fruit, coconut flakes, almonds, granola, cereal, cacao nibs, chia seeds, and sunflower seeds are all great options. Again, make sure you use silken tofu.

3. Tofu Scramble

vegetable, pepper, onion, meat, saute, carrot
Kimberly Kao

Love scrambled eggs? This is the perfect alternative. With a dash of turmeric to make it yellow, tofu becomes the perfect alternative. Load the scramble with your favorite veggies for a protein-packed breakfast. The spice and veggie combinations for this vegan tofu recipe are endless. Love tacos? Go for a Mexican vibe. More of a curry fan? Try this Indian-inspired scramble. 

4. Tofu Pancakes

Hear me out on this one, okay? Thanks.

No, these won't be the fluffy pancakes your mom used to make on Saturday mornings when you were a kid. But when you use silken tofu the batter becomes incredibly smooth. Try adding blueberries to the batter or even vegan chocolate chips for a sweet surprise. 

5. Sofrita Chipotle Bowl

avocado, salad, quinoa, chicken
Katherine Baker

Buddha bowls are all the rage right now. Not to mention they are super Instagram-worthy. This is the perfect option when you have tons of leftovers sitting in the fridge and exactly zero time to prepare anything. 

6. Cashew "Chicken" Stir Fry

salad, vegetable, pepper, chili
Ryan Terhune

Craving Chinese takeout? I know the feeling. The tofu is fried with ginger and onion, which gives it a delicious taste and crispy texture, which pairs perfectly with the smoothness of cashews. 

7. Salad Rolls

spring rolls, rice, vegetable, salad, lettuce
Jillian Rogers

My family loves making salad rolls. Like buddha bowls and stir fries, they're a great way to use up leftovers. The hardest part is tracking down rice paper, but any grocery store with an Asian food section would likely carry them.

8. Tofu Salad

sandwich, lettuce, bread, tomato, meat, cheese, toast, vegetable
Caitlin Johnson

Swap the eggs and tuna for tofu, the mayo for Vegenaise, and you'll have a sandwich everyone can enjoy.

9. Ranch Dressing

vegetable, salad, lettuce, tomato
Kristine Mahan

This recipes proves just how versatile tofu really is. Make sure to use silken tofu as opposed to pressed tofu for the smoothest texture. 

10. "Chicken" Nuggets

Sarah Dale

After a long day of classes, sometimes all you need are nuggets and fries. Instead of forking out cash ('cause we all know how expensive takeout can get), why not make your own? Using tofu and your oven, it's healthier and cheaper. Pair your nuggets with your favorite vegan BBQ sauce and some homemade fries.

11. Tofu Fries

sweet, bread, dairy product, cake
Helena Lin

Vegan tofu recipes are so versatile, you could even have tofu fries to go with your tofu nuggets. 

12. Tofu-Topped Pizza

chocolate, sweet, cream
Paige Twombly

When another greasy Domino's pizza just won't cut it anymore, try this sophisticated portobello mushroom pizza recipe. Glazed with olive oil and basil and topped with tofu, this fresh take on pizza will leave you feeling refreshed.

13. Vegan Peanut Butter Pie

You can thank me later.

14. Chocolate Silk Pie

Packed full of silky smooth tofu, this is one dessert you'll feel good about indulging in. The chocolate almond milk really carries this pie and makes it ultra rich.

#SpoonTip: It takes less than 15 minutes to assemble this pie, but you'll need a few hours for it to set in the fridge. 

15. Chocolate Pudding

chocolate, milk, cream, sweet, chocolate mousse, coffee, mousse, candy, goody, pudding, milk chocolate
Katherine Baker

I saved the best for last. Tofu is incredibly versatile and can take on just about any flavor you can imagine. Oreos not your thing? No worries. Try this chocolate banana pudding recipe instead. 

Tofu does have personality, it just needs a little help expressing itself. Give one of these vegan tofu recipes a try and I promise you'll find a new favorite.