So maybe you came here because you’re a tofu enthusiast and love finding creative replacements for your meals. Or maybe you thought the picture looked cool and you’re not completely against the idea of this mysterious white block. Either way, let’s talk tofu and how we can replace tuna or eggs to make a quick, easy, delicious, and healthy sandwich.

What is it?

The process begins by grinding soybeans to form a milk-like substance, which is then compressed and set aside to turn into the beautiful mass. The newly formed soy is then dried, cut into squares, and packaged.

Nutritional benefits of eating tofu

1. Rich in calcium

2. Rich in vitamin E

3. Regular consumption can lower cholesterol, triglycerides and low-density lipoprotein (bad cholesterol)

4. May lower the risk of cancer

5. Lowers your risk of atherosclerosis, hypertension and cardiovascular

Benefits of substituting tofu

Personally, a huge reason I like to replace foods with plant-based items is so I can eat more. I like to eat. When I eat more, it makes me feel more satisfied. Instead of eating a small meal that’s calorically dense, I’d rather eat a large meal that’s nutritionally dense, meaning the food’s ratio, nutrient content to caloric value, is very high. Simply put, EAT MORE, GAIN NOTHING, FEEL BETTER.

The best part about tofu though really is its ability to take on any flavor that’s paired with it. Tofu is the real OG.

Tofu Salad

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:25 minutes

• 2 cup drained crumbled tofu
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped white onion
  • 3 tablespoon chopped pickle/relish
  • 3 tablespoon chopped dill
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
  • 1/4 cup vegenaise (more or less depending on preference)
  • 1 teaspoon your favorite vinegar (I used rice)
  • 3 dashes of tabasco
  • 1/2 teaspoon Celery salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon paprika
  • S+P
  • 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts (optional)
  • 2 slices of your favorite sandwich bread
  • Shaved carrot (optional)
Photo by Caitlin Johnson

Drain your tofu by placing it between paper towels and placing a heavy object on top. Get creative. Let it drain for más o menos 10 minutes.

Photo courtesy of thepurplecarrot.com

Chop that tofu.

Photo courtesy of Caitlin Johnson

Combine all ingredients.

Photo Courtesy of Caitlin Johnson

Toast your bread, add your favorite sandwich veggies (alfalfa sprouts, shaved carrots), and enjoy.

Photo courtesy of Caitlin Johnson

Enjoy!

Photo by Caitlin Johnson