Winter is well underway and we are starting to sing the blues. All that remains of the holiday festivities are the boxes of decorations that haven't made their return to the basement. Dread is creeping in with the thought of classes beginning soon and the seemingly never-ending cold, dark days are enough to knock anyone down in the dumps. If you're anything like me, you turn to food for comfort and warmth in these dreary days.

Here is a little list of some of the best recipes of comfort food Spoon has to offer to cure your seasonal blues. So turn off the melancholy winter acoustic playlist, shake off those blues with your upbeat favorites (Just Hold On is my winter anthem. Louis, I love you.) and hit the kitchen. 

Chicken Soup

parsley, chicken, vegetable, broth, soup

Not only is chicken soup a cure for a cold but it is the ultimate comfort food (in my opinion). And there is now scientific reasoning that chicken soup actually helps cure your sniffling.

Mac n' Cheese

vegetable, cheese, corn, macaroni
Kirby Barth

So maybe I lied, Mac n' Cheese is the best comfort food — hands down. Nothing beats the creamy cheesy goodness that this delightful childhood favorite is.  

Coconut, Quinoa, and Black Bean Stew  

black beans, soup, meat, vegetable
Keah Hansen

The coconut and black bean combo is keeping you healthy, warm, and satiated after dinner.

Tortellini Soup

broth, tortellini, meat, pasta, soup, vegetable
Caroline Grew

This delicious soup is so quick and easy, yet it is like your Italian grandmother stopped by your dorm and magically created this (literally) heartwarming meal. Close your eyes and you might feel like you are sitting on balcony in Tuscany. And as most Italian dishes do, it pairs greatly wine.

Bailey's Irish Cream Brioche French Toast

sweet, meat, sauce, french toast
Ellen Gibbs

Baileys + French Toast = motivation to get up in the cold morning. Brunch just got ten times better.

Veggie Nachos

sauce, lettuce, salsa, tomato, cheese, vegetable, chili, tacos
Phoebe Melnick

You can never go wrong with nachos. And "veggie" is in the name, so it's healthy, right?

Thai Coconut and Ginger Soup

chocolate, sweet
Kendra Valkema

A majority of winter comfort foods are heavy but this light soup is a welcomed change. Show this to your mom and she might believe you are somewhat successfully adulting.

Blackberry Grilled Cheese

bacon, bread, cheese, toast
Jackie Kuczynski

I love the new variety of inventive grilled cheese recipes floating around and with this berry-filled sandwich, you can bring summer right to your kitchen. So if you "can't even" with the winter cold and already have a countdown until the first day of summer, this grilled cheese is calling you.

Chili

meat, chili, pepper, vegetable
Alex Weiner

Chili is always a good idea on a chilly day... see what I did there?

Cinnamon Apple and Peanut Butter Quinoa  

pasture, juice, apple
Maggie Gorman

Start your morning off right with a healthy, protein-packed breakfast. This alternative to oatmeal is full of warm flavors and your tastebuds will thank you.

French Onion Soup

bread, onion, soup, french onion soup
Kennedy Choi

Sounds fancy, right? How many college students can say they made French onion soup for dinner? Not many. Well, now you can be one of the few. It's relatively easy and cheap but will make you feel like the next Julia Child. Or maybe that was just me.

Apricot Jam Mince Pies

dairy product, bread, cake, pie, pastry, sweet
Matt Volpe

If you are feeling adventurous this pie/muffin hybrid filled with mincemeat and jam is just for you.     

English Breakfast

sausage, toast, bacon, egg
Alison Weissbrot

Continuing with the British recipes, this filling traditional breakfast is great for Sunday breakfast. It's one of my favs and really easy to make.

Gingerbread Peppermint Donuts

pastry, cake, candy, sweet, sprinkles, chocolate, doughnut
Rachel Gramuglia

These donuts will provide a sugar high with a burst of holiday flavors covered in chocolate. Life doesn't get much better.

Hot Lemonade

mate, kettle, ladle, coffee, soup, tea
Elizabeth Vana

Hot lemonade? You bet. This twist on a summer classic will keep you warm on your walk to classes in the frigid weather.

With these recipes winter will fly by with flavor and warmth. Just a couple more months until spring — hang in there