Prague may not be the first city that comes to mind when you think of trendy food-hubs, but the ancient city leaned hard into capitalism after years under communist rule, bringing restaurants of all kinds to the banks of the Vltava River. Czech food itself is nothing to write home about, mostly meat, potatoes, and pickled vegetables like much of central Europe. It's the modern takes on traditional Czech favorites, influenced by cuisines of the world, that make Prague a foodie heaven.

Margaret Ross

After sipping a few cold (and very foamy, just the way the Czechs like it) Pilsners, the famous beer of the Czech Republic, it's time to dive into a fantastic meal. The Czech Republic drinks the most beer of any country at 250 pints per person each year!

Myšák - Open Faced Sandwich and Věneček Pastry

Margaret Ross

The age-old cafe and bakery Myšák is located right in the heart of the city, and is the perfect spot to grab a bite, sweet or savory. The open faced sandwiches are traditional cuisine, but can be topped with anything from meats and heavy cream sauces, to fresh vegetables and spreads. The pastry shown above is also traditional, made of choux pastry and filled with light vanilla cream. 

Lokal - Fried Cheese

Margaret Ross

Yes, you read that right. I'm telling you to go all the way to Europe to order a glorified mozzarella stick. Fried cheese will look a little different everywhere you order it, sometimes pan fried and other times deep fried like above, but is a staple at most Czech pubs. The pub Lokal, which has various locations around the country, has fresh on-tap Pilsner delivered everyday to ensure the crispest beer you've ever tasted. 

Eska - Burnt Potato in Ashes

Margaret Ross

Eska earned it's Michelin Bib Gourmand award with creative and surprising takes on traditional Czech dishes like this one. Creamy and potato-focused, this meal tastes like a summer campfire in the Czech countryside. Their homemade fresh bread is also not to be missed.

Eska - Kremrole

Margaret Ross

Anything with a Michelin Guide mention deserves a double mention here. Kremrole is another traditional Czech pastry, filled with soft fluffy meringue. One crispy bite and this melt-in-your-mouth delicacy will make you forget every cannoli you've ever eaten.

Good Food - Trdelník

Margaret Ross

Trdelník pastries are the dessert of your Instagram dreams. The crispy, round, hollow pastry is covered in sugar and filled with anything from Nutella to ice cream. The treat can be found all over the city, especially in the most touristy areas, but Good Food offers a great variety of flavors and makes them so pretty they deserve to grace any Instagram feed. 

Cafe Savoy - Brunch

Margaret Ross

The elaborate and carb-heavy brunches of the city clearly display the French and British influence on the Prague food scene. Cafe Savoy has all the class of a British high tea, with the fresh breads and meats of Czech food. Their hot chocolate is so rich and hearty it could be mistaken for chocolate sauce. The French Toast, served with fresh fruit, is fluffy and heavenly. 

Next time you find yourself in Prague, "Czech" out these incredible restaurants!