This past weekend, the Governors Ball Music festival invaded Randall's Island and left it covered in confetti, cool vibes, and all the cheese you could ever eat. Aptly referred to as GovBall, the festival is the crown jewel of the NYC music and gastronomic scene, combining the food we salivate over on the Instagram with the musicians we sing along with on Spotify. In case you missed out (or can't stop posting photos from the weekend), I compiled a list of the coolest food porn at GovBall 2018.  

#1. John's Juice

Beatrice Forman

A certified platinum GovBall vendor that churns out hit after hit, John's Juice was the festival's premiere hydration station. Known for mixing sustainability and whimsy, John's Juice serves deliciously fresh fruit juices straight from the source. That's right — they present the pineapple juice in the very same pineapple it came from. Come for the juice, stay for the Instagram fodder, and leave knowing you left the world a little cleaner. John's Juice is the vendor with a conscious and I can't wait to see how they evolve. 

#SpoonTip: Need a #humpday pick-me-up? Head over to their permanent booth at the Gansevoort Market for watermelons the size of your head, thicc smoothie bowls, and unparalleled hospitality. 

#2. Takumi Taco:

Beatrice Forman

The scenario: you've just sweated buckets after moshing a little too hard during Khalid's vividly energetic and nostalgia-inducing set. You need food that will fill you up without sacrificing taste, presentation, or perhaps the most important, fun. The answer? Takumi Taco's nachos. 

Doling out burritos teeming with edamame and tacos served in crispy gyoza, Takumi Taco finds fun at the intersection of Japanese and Mexican street fare. Their mastery of bold flavors is showcased best in their jaw-dropping nachos, whose yuzu infused guacamole adds a subtle and addictive tang. 

#SpoonTip: Not getting the right cheese to chip ratio at home? You can find Takumi Taco's nachos at a variety of food halls throughout NYC, including Chelsea Market. 

#3. The Melt Shop:

Beatrice Forman

We like our classics -- Eminem's Slim Shady LP, denim on denim, and grilled cheese. Luckily, the Melt Shop cornered the market on that classic American mainstay all festival long. Known for the cheesiest cheese pulls and comfort food sans too much grease, the Melt Shop is your one-stop shop for good food with a conscious. Their grilled cheese encapsulates the best of simplicity: perfectly toasted Country white bread, a perfect American to cheddar cheese ratio, and not much else. 

#SpoonTip: Commuted to GovBall from Westchester County? Hit up the Melt Shop's brand new location in our favorite mall, The Westchester, on June 16th for a grand opening bash filled with tots, shakes, and all the cheese. 

#4. Wowfulls:

Beatrice Forman

Name a more iconic duo than waffles and ice cream, and, no you can't say Cardi B and Offset. Wowfulls marries Hong Kong style egg waffles, gai dàn jai, with fanciful ice cream flavors and toppings for a two-in-one dessert experience. My personal favorite from the weekend, each creation has a vibrantly sweet flavor palette. From the crisp edge of the waffle to cool vanilla of the ice cream and the fruity touch from the Pocky, this dessert will have you saying, "Wow!" 

#SpoonTip: Craving a sweet treat that's cooler than ice cream in a sugar cone? Head to Wowfulls' brick-and-mortar locale on the Lower East Side for ice cream that packs a punch. 

#5. The Bao Shoppe:

Beatrice Forman

Good festival food should be 3 things: portable (so you can eat in the pit, duh), filling, and something you couldn't possibly find anywhere else. The Bao Shoppe's mac'n'cheese spring rolls check off all these boxes, deeming them the official GovBall snack.

Fulfilling the two most important food groups — cheese and carbs — these spring rolls are a double whammy of delicious. The gooey cheese filling pairs well with the flaky shell, making it taste like an elevated take on mac'n'cheese topped with bread crumbs.  

#SpoonTip: Instant mac'n'cheese not satisfying your munchies? Seamless yourself some of Bao Shoppe's spring rolls, or pop into their Lower East Side location. 

#6. Big Mozz:

Beatrice Forman

Much like how every childhood pizza party wasn't complete without garlic knots, no NYC festival is complete without Big Mozz. The quintessential rally food, these mozzarella sticks were there for everyone throughout GovBall weekend, especially when went a little too hard during Amine's positively banging set. 

Big Mozz elevates the mozzarella stick to something more than a glorified pizza side dish. It's a full meal. Oversize and well seasoned with garlic and parsley, these mozz sticks are both crunchy and gooey. 

#SpoonTip: Tired of frozen mozzarella sticks and Bachelorette marathons on Saturday mornings? Hit up Big Mozz's Smorgasburg booth every summer Saturday in Williamsburg.

#7. Cookie DŌ NYC:

Beatrice Forman

Sometimes, you crave cookies. Others, you need ice cream. The days in between you covet cookie dough. And when times are especially emotional, celebratory or otherwise, you need all three. Meet Cookie DŌ NYC, the festival vendor that specializes in turning regular moments into full on celebrations. 

Headed by Kristen Tomlan, baker/business/branding extraordinaire, DŌ's products are made sans eggs and with heat treated flour, so you can eat your guiltiest pleasures with no guilt at all. While their unbaked cookie doughs meld next level flavors with unparalleled density and decadence, their ice cream sandwiches should not be slept on. Sandwiched between two soft yet chewy cookies, the vanilla ice cream is a welcome, not to mention cool, addition. 

#SpoonTip: Too old for sleep away camp? Have no fear, Camp DŌ is here! Head to Chef Clubs Counter in SoHo for an immersive cookie dough and campfire experience that will have you craving ghost stories and Color Wars, courtesy of Cookie DŌ. 

#8. Big Mozz x Cookie DŌ:

Beatrice Forman

No, the best crossover of all time is not Batman vs. Superman, nor is it that one episode of "The Suite Life" where Hannah Montana stays in the Tipton. It's Big Mozz x Cookie DŌ, the meeting of two festival titans. Balls of Cookie DŌ are fried in Big Mozz's signature batter and sprinkled with powder sugar for a dessert experience unlike any other. 

With flavors like classic chocolate chip, whimsical cake batter, and brownie batter, each bite takes you on a flavor journey. Connoting the best feelings of carnivals and late night baking sessions, this collaboration transports you right back to the best parts of childhood. 

#SpoonTip: Adulting a little too hard lately? Head to Smorgasburg every weekend for a bite of the Big Mozz x DŌ collab and a wave of much needed nostalgia.

#9: Pink's:

Beatrice Forman

Tacos, arguably the official food of a good time, are definitely the official food of GovBall 2018. However, finding a taco that will be more than accessory to some margs and live music is no easy task. That is, until Pinks came a long. 

Generally known for their bar atmosphere and take on on SoCal street food, Pinks dominated the food scene at Govball with filling and spicy tacos. Their pulled pork offering had a robust smoky kick, while the vegan variety could convert any meat enthusiast. 

#SpoonTip: Looking for a summer getaway on the 6 Train Line? Head to Pink's East Village location for a staycation filled with Hot Rod references, kitsch, and all the chili. 

#10. Van Leeuwen Ice Cream:

Beatrice Forman

Call me a sucker for pastel food trucks and small batch ice cream, but there's something about Van Leeuwen that keeps me coming back for a double scoop. Known for all natural yet innovative flavors and vegan ice cream that tastes better than the real thing, Van Leeuwen is a cornerstone of festivals thanks to their attention to detail, diverse menu, and knack for creating #EEEEATS moments. (I mean, look at that drip.)

This year, they brought power house specialty flavors Royal Wedding Cake and Vegan Dark Matter to Randall's island, and each flavor was a delight. Despite it's blacker-than-dark black coloring, Dark Matter has a coconut-y flavor and lightly tropical aftertase, while Royal Wedding Cake served garden party realness thanks to swirls of elderflower frosting and chunks of lemon cake. 

#SpoonTip: Craving a pint of their Matcha ice cream but are interning in Chicago? Head to Van Leeuwen's website to get a pint shipped right to your door. 

#11. The Nugget Spot:

Beatrice Forman

Chicken nuggets: the food of childhood tv dinners, late night McDonald runs, and apparently, emotional support. Thanks to The Nugget Spot, a proud purveyor of all things bite sized, your favorite comfort food got a much needed upgrade during GovBall 2018. 

Thanks to their comittment to hormone free proteins and fresh ingredients, The Nugget Spot's nugs are anything but heavy and greasy. Well seasoned with premium white meat chicken, these nuggets exceeded my expectations. Top with Shh Sauce ( which tasted like a spicier Thousand Island dressing) for a snack that packs a punch. 

#SpoonTip: Ever think of topping your mac'n'cheese with nuggets or coating your nuggets in Captain Crunch? Head to the Nugget Spot's Union Square restaurant for these munchie-fueled creations, and people who won't judge you for ordering them. 

#12. Taiyaki NYC:

Beatrice Forman

Chances are you, an Instagram user who follows at least five Foodstagrams, knows Taiyaki NYC as "the fish cone people." Renowned for their spin on a cornerstone of Japanese confectioneries and bakeries, Taiyaki came to GovBall to earn a new moniker — "the unicorn float people." 

Taiyaki's thick strawberry, mango, and taro slushies were the main attraction at this year's festival. The love child of a smoothie and a milkshake, these slushies satisfied both my thirst and sweet tooth. Moreover, the unicorn float is both adorable and convenient, making it the perfect cup holder for dancing. 

#SpoonTip: Want a unicorn of your very own or, fine, a fish cone? Head to Taiyaki's Chinatown location for both, and some of the best soft serve around. 

GovBall 2018 was nothing short of our collective Generzation Z and Millenial dreams. The perfect mix of beats and eats, the festival captured the true essence of New York City over its 3 day span. Head to any of the vendors mentioned or GovBall's website to find out how you can bottle up that magic year round.