As dreaded midterms came to a close and the anticipated first week of March arrived, my friends and I tossed aside our textbooks and headed off to Puerto Rico to spend spring break together. After a stressful first half of the semester, a relaxing trip was the magical cure to remedy any college student's spring slump. The beach and quality time with friends was absolutely amazing, but we certainly didn't expect to end up dining at some of the coolest and most delicious restaurants while we were there (major shoutout to the hotel concierge!). So here, I give you my San Juan restaurant roundup, the perfect guide for any foodie - and their friends - on vacation. 

El Viejo Almacén

El Viejo Almacén is an unexpected hole-in-the-wall Argentinian-style restaurant. The menu is unbelievable, and you will be overwhelmed by the number of options to choose from. I recommend starting with the empanadas, both meat and vegetarian options to satisfy even the pickiest eater. The meatballs are also fantastic; they come four to an order and swimming in a flavorful marinara sauce. For your entree, you have to try their homemade Milanese, and you can't go wrong with the chicken, beef, or veal. We also ordered the melt-in-your-mouth short rib, which to quote my friend Jordyn, "was unforgettable." We still dream about it to this day - you better believe it was that good.

All of the entrees come with a side, and for a few extra dollars, you can choose from a variety of pasta shapes and sauces to go alongside your main course. The gnocchi with creamy pesto sauce and the fettuccini bolognese are delicious, and taste like they're straight outta Italy. This restaurant is the definition of bang for your buck – the portions are massive, like nothing I'd ever seen before, and entrees can be shared between 2-3 people depending on how hungry you are. Whether you take on the massive Milanese yourself or split with friends, you'll likely enjoy leftovers for days.

Chloé

Located in the heart of the bustling Condado neighborhood, Chloé is situated on a rooftop with incredible views. The vibes of the restaurant are fun and tropical, and it's definitely one of the most Instagrammable restaurants in the area. I recommend sharing family style with your friends, so everyone gets to try a little bit of everything and no dish is left behind. We started with the pork dumplings, short rib ravioli, chicken wings, and the Jose tacos for appetizers. My favorite was by far the Jose tacos; tuna tartare sealed into a crispy fried outer shell – what's not to love? For the entrees, we got chicken Milanese (yup, again) which came with a side of creamy mac and cheese, and the garlic shrimp with a side salad. The mains are on the more expensive side, so you can definitely get away with just ordering appetizers if you're not trying to break the bank.

Chloé also offers weekend brunch, featuring fun options like the "hangoverkit," two eggs any style with bacon and sides, chicken and waffle sandwich, cinnamon french toast crunch, banana walnuts foster pancakes, and avocado toast, all great for a lazy vacation Sunday morning. Whether you choose to indulge in sweet or savory, the rooftop view of the ocean during the daytime will not disappoint and put your dining experience over the edge. 

Burrito Social

Burrito Social is the Bartaco of paradise, delivering top-notch Mexican food, drinks, and impeccable service with five locations across Florida and Puerto Rico. The restaurant's atmosphere is cozy, decorated with accents of blue and white that make the space feel beachy and nautical. We started with chips and guacamole – and a round of drinks, of course! We got margaritas lined with salted rims that were flavorful and strong, the ideal way to kick off dinner. If you're of drinking age (18 in Puerto Rico), try the original "Margarita Social" frozen or on the rocks, or make it skinny and order the Socialite. If you're looking for a fruity drink, I recommend the Blackberry Mojito with muddled blackberries.

For dinner, fan favorites were the steak quesadillas, the "nachos social" with all the fixings (and a stellar cheese pull), the social bowl packed with lettuce, rice, beans, veggies, cheese, and protein, the fish tacos, and finally the Cali-style burrito. This unofficial house burrito takes a spin on what you'd expect of the classic and is stuffed with french fries, queso, and bacon; yes, it's as insane as it sounds. Burrito Social is the perfect restaurant to hit for dinner in Puerto Rico if you're looking for fantastic food and fun vibes at a reasonable price point.

Serafina

Serafina is an Italian restaurant chain and one of my favorite places to dine in New York City. I literally crave Serafina pasta while I'm at school in Atlanta, so obviously, the San Juan location was a must-visit on this trip. Fun fact: there are more than 30 Serafina locations worldwide!

The restaurant's atmosphere is so different from the New York locations, and I loved it. Just steps away from the beach, it feels like an Italian restaurant with a tropical flair. If you can, snag a table on the outdoor patio and soak up the amazing weather. Now let's dive into alllll the eats.

I recommend starting with the burrata and pizza for the table. Trust me when I say you can't miss the signature thin-crust Margherita pizza, which has the perfect ratio of sauce to cheese. Or, level up and try the VIP Margherita made with imported Italian mozzarella…holy yum. The pasta at Serafina is also to die for. Some table favorites were the rigatoni bolognese, truffle ravioli, linguine with clams, and penne alla vodka (an off-menu item but still a Serafina staple in my heart). If your stomach can't handle all that dairy and gluten – no shame – Serafina has many other excellent entrees to choose from. The chicken paillard, steak & fries, and fresh Atlantic salmon are all great options if you're ditching the pizza and pasta. Ordering a round of drinks? Try an Aperol Spritz or a strawberry martini, perfect to accompany your Italian feast. 

Ocean Breeze

We frequented this beachside restaurant almost daily for lunch, and it only felt right to include it on this list. Located in the Royal Sonesta Hotel, with the bar practically an extension of the sand, this restaurant cultivated the perfect beach shack vibes. Ocean Breeze has every beachgoer's ideal menu; from quesadillas, salads, wraps, pizza, to chicken fingers, there were options for everyone, and certainly, no one left the table hungry.

Eats aside, the "bucket" drinks are the highlight. These massive cups, which the bartender can fill with any drink of your choice, give you the ultimate bang for your buck. If you have a sweet tooth, I recommend the mojito bucket with coconut rum for a tropical flavor. Ocean Breeze is the definition of spring break on a budget and was a staple for our trip.