It doesn't take much to make me happy. A day at the beach, a good cup of coffee, or in this case, a dang good Margherita pizza. While I've found some decent pizza places down here in SLO, nothing ever compares to my favorite pizza place back home in the Bay Area (thank you Tony's Napoletana for ruining pizza for me - nothing compares!). 

Desperate to find a pizza that could satisfy me, I thought to myself, "why don't I just make my own Margherita pizza?". So I did. And I loved it. 

Disclaimer: this is not an authentic Margherita pizza. But it makes me happy, it's easy to make, and I feel super cool to say that I actually cooked something other than frozen meals.

All the ingredients can be found at your local Trader Joe's, and is pretty much ready-to-make (thank goodness for fresh pizza dough!).

This recipe is super adaptable, and can really be made however you like. Want it saucy? Do it. Less cheesy? Hold back. Don't like tomatoes? Leave them off. You're the captain of this pizza boat now.

Easy Margherita Pizza

• 1 Trader Joe's Fresh & Refrigerated Pizza Dough
  • 1 TBSP more or less Olive Oil
  • Pizza Sauce
  • Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
  • Ciligene or Ovalini Mozzarella - any mozzarella in a brine will work!
  • Fresh Basil
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Pepper to taste
Lauren Arendt

Take out the pizza dough and place on a floured surface. Let rest for 30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 475°.

Lauren Arendt

While the pizza dough rests, start prepping the ingredients! Cut up the cherry tomatoes in halves, get your basil ready, and all your cheeses out. Once the dough is done resting, shape it. You'll want it thin.

Lauren Arendt

Get a pan (I use a cookie sheet) and cover in foil. Place the pizza dough on and cover lightly in olive oil. This will give your pizza a much crispier crust!

Lauren Arendt

Spread the pizza sauce on the dough, leaving a little room around the edge for the crust.

Lauren Arendt

Cover in shredded mozzarella cheese to your heart's content.

Lauren Arendt

Rip up the fresh mozzarella and place on pizza. Add on the cut cherry tomatoes, sprinkle with fresh basil, and a lil pepper to taste.

Lauren Arendt

Put that baby in the oven for 20ish minutes (until the crust is golden and the cheese is starting to turn golden brown).

Lauren Arendt

Cut up and enjoy!

Lauren Arendt

Final Thoughts

If you're looking for an aesthetically pleasing and delicious pizza to impress friends and family, this is the Margherita pizza for you. Warning: you will experience praise, jealousy, and drool from those around you.