I grew up in a culture where most, if not all, of our meals are served family style. When we eat at restaurants, very rarely does everyone order their own plate. We tend to order everything “for the middle” of the table to share. Here are some reasons why I think a family style meal is the best type of meal.

Friends & Family Bonding

coffee, Friends, Summer, outdoors, smoothies, Ocean, laughing, smiling, smile
Julia Gilman

What better way to bond than over good food? Food brings everyone together, emphasizes the value of sharing, and is even more special when shared with those you love the most. 

You Can Taste More Food

Ivana Rizo Patron

By sharing various plates, you get to try various dishes that are calling your name. Want to try two desserts on the menu or a variety of entrees? Split with your friends! 

Potlucks Reduce the Amount of Time Spent Cooking

College, homemade, Cooking, college life, dorm life, feast, family style
Amy Dong

Cooking one dish is a lot faster (and normally cheaper) than various small ones. If each friend prepares a dish for everyone to share, everyone's workload is reduced. Plus, potlucks are just fun and hosting one is a great way to bring friends and family together!

It Reminds You of Home

Ivana Rizo Patron

Many people associate certain foods with the feeling of home, particularly if they grew up eating the dish or come from a different state or country. Through sharing these foods, you can learn about food from other cultures and recreate the feeling of home, even if you're thousands of miles away.

With the new year, what better way to reconnect with friends and family than through a family style meal? Sharing is caring, and meals are great conversation starters and a reason to get together.

And while you're at it, stay, have dessert or another drink. In this fast-paced world, take a step back and appreciate and enjoy the time with your friends and family!