We Indians are proud to be who we are, but something especially striking is our food. With those warm spices and bold flavors, there is nothing that reminds us more of home. Sometimes when I'm at UW-Madison, I just miss my mom's homemade chicken biryani so much that I'm tempted to go anywhere to get something similar.

For those who feel homesick, have never tried Indian food, or just those who love it as much as I do, here is a list of the best spots to get a proper fix of warm Desi food in Madison

1. Haldi Masala

One of my friends who's a senior at UW called this the "best Indian restaurant in Madison." Haldi is most known for South Indian delicacies such as idli and dosa, but they also serve (and deliver, may I add) well-known dishes such as Chicken Tikka Masala and Garlic Naan. 

2. Swagat

In my opinion, the most stellar lunch buffet in Madison is at Swagat. My parents often travel from Chicago to visit me and eat lunch at Swagat (I have a feeling they mostly just visit to eat lunch at Swagat). They have countless options. I often fill up my plate with Pani Puri, Chicken Biryani, and Chole Bhature

3. Maharani

Popular on GrubHub, Maharani is perfect for those nights in the middle of winter where you just need some warm Desi food. Maharani offers both carry-out and delivery options, and I recommend to get all types of paratha, naan, and curry. 

4. Mirch Masala

Mirch Masala is where you can get the most spicy and flavorful dishes on State State. Stop by in between classes to enjoy a cheap and quick lunch buffet with a countless array of Indian classics.

5. Taj

With award-winning Chicken Tikka Masala, Taj is worth that Uber ride to South Park Street. Taj is your best destination for a good lunch, a romantic dinner date, or just to order for yourself when you don't feel like cooking. 

6. Dhaba

Located down the road in Middleton, Dhaba offers a  large selection of appetizers, crafted curries with classic Indian spices, and hand-picked vegetables that are sautéed to perfection. Dhaba presents to you the highest level of food quality at competitive prices. 

7. Swad

"Swad" means delicious in Hindi. Of course, this restaurant on Monona Dr. lives up to its name because they serve the most swad desserts, fusion appetizers, and tons of your favorite Indian classics. 

8. Tandoori House

Tandoori House is home of the freshest eats straight from the tandoor (clay oven) such as Seekh Kabab and Tandoori Chicken. They also have tons of vegetarian options. Personally, I'm tempted to try that Chicken Tikka Masala Salad. 

9. OM Indian Fusion

This is the hOMe of XL Dosas, Coconut Shrimp, and Paneer Rolls. You can't go wrong with OM because their dishes have inspiration from India, China, the US, and more. Enjoy a lunch buffet or dinner menu with tons of unique options. 

10. Taste of India

Taste of India lives up to it's 4 stars on Yelp by offering countless types of Naan, six types of Biryani, and the Royal Dinner Special (a dinner for two with non-veg and veg options). 

11. Maharana

No, this is not the same place as Maharani. Maharana is located a little ways from campus near the East Towne Mall, but it's totally worth the trip. They are well-known for their extensive array of seafood dishes and endless vegetarian options. 

Madison has more options for Indian food than we ever imagined. If you're craving a piece of the motherland or can handle the heat, head to a local restaurant to try some spicy, bold Indian delicacies. And never forget to order that mango lassi