Yellow dragon fruit is gaining recognition for being one of the most delicious, and bowel-movement-inducing, fruits.

The perfectly-balanced sweet fruit is growing in popularity on TikTok because of its taste and reputation as a natural laxative. Multiple creators cautioned consumers to watch out for its effects. The hashtag “yellow dragon fruit” has over a hundred videos of people trying the fruit and sharing their thoughts.

What is a yellow dragon fruit?

This fruit has two siblings, which are better known — white and red dragon fruit. They both have magenta exterior with green tip scales that have that look similar to the appearance of dragon skin — hence the name. Dragon fruit, which is otherwise known as pitaya, or strawberry pears, is not actually a fruit. The delicious snack is a cactus native to South America and Mexico. However, now it’s grown all over the world.

Similar to kiwi’s, there are multiple types of dragon fruit that look extremely similar. All three varieties — red, white, and yellow dragon fruits — have different flavors but hold the same texture.

The yellow dragon fruit is known to be the sweetest in its family. The fruit taste like a combination of pear, kiwi, and pineapple. It has white and black speckled flesh that has texture comparable to a pear.

Why is the yellow dragon fruit having a moment on TikTok?

One creator, Halley Kate, posted a video about the flavorful fruit sharing that the snack was “one of the most delicious fruits” she’s tried in her entire life. Two days later, though, her tune changed. She posted another TikTok saying that she had no idea the fruit had the same effects as laxatives. “I swear there was, like, nothing left in my body.” she said in the video.

Another TikTok creator, Raisa Crespo, known on the platform as @TheElectricEats shared a similar experience in her video about the fruit, “Do me the favor of canceling plans that you have for today.”

Why is yellow dragon fruit a natural laxative?

The fruit’s high fiber and prebiotic properties gives it its laxative effects. According to The Cleveland Clinic states that one cup of the fruit contains seven grams of fiber. Dietary fiber plays a big part in digestion and typically comes from vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. 

The fruit is linked to many other benefits other than being a natural laxative. Healthine shares that the fruit contains vitamin C, betalains, and carotenoids, and other antioxidants in the fruit. These qualities may help prevent chronic diseases, such as cancer or cardiovascular diseases, and possibly improve metabolism because of the probiotic fibers that promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in your gut.

Where can you buy a yellow dragon fruit?

So where can you get this delicious fruit? Stop by an Asian grocery store like H Mart or hit up Trader Joes, Whole Foods, or maybe even your local health food store. Just make sure you have access to a bathroom.