For the past year, I have been taking too many flights to go back home from college. And, even though airports are fun, airplane food is one of the things that makes my trip not that memorable. Still, I found some of the smartest on-the-go snacks to travel because buying food at the airport can become super expensive, and sometimes the options are limited...Check out these 5 snacks to travel with that you can either make at home or buy at the nearest CVS.

1. Granola Bars: LÄRA BAR ($4.99)

Maite Lopez Birlain

This bar is one of my favorites and-- in my opinion-- the best in the market! It is only made with four ingredients (dates, semisweet chocolate chips and sea salt). It is chewy, rich in protein and has the right amount of fiber to keep your intestine moving. With all these, LÄRA's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough bar is a snack to travel with that will keep you happy and satisfied for a long amount of time.

2. Peanut Butter and Apple

Maite Lopez Birlain

The benefits of peanut butter are endless; it helps prevent diabetes, it has antioxidant properties, they're a good source of vitamins as well as a regulator of high blood pressure, amongst others. Similarly, the apple's benefits are summed up to just keep the doctor away (as well as hunger). 

This snack for the airplane is perfect to get your intestine moving as well and start your day with a lot of energy at the airport. 

3. Popcorn: Boom Chicka Pop ($1.29)

Maite Lopez Birlain

My love for popcorn goes beyond this world! I LOVE THEM and Boom Chicka Pop is legit the best kettle corn I have ever had. 

This popcorn bag can be found in any grocery store as well as CVS or Walgreens. Its ingredients are popcorn, sunflower, cane sugar and sea salt. If you're looking for a sweet snack option that will not give you unnatural flavors, eat this! 

4. Trail Mix

nut, almond, peanut
Christin Urso

If you're in a rush, this snack is your go-to. Trail mix's are easy, fast and healthy for you. Depending on the ingredients you use, the better it will be. Adding pecans, almonds and walnuts, will give your mix good carbs, saturated fat and a great amount of protein that will help you to get through your flight satisfied. 

5. Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

peanut butter, peanut, sandwich, butter, bread, jam, jelly, bit, wheat, slice, pb&j, peanut butter and jelly sandwich
Caroline Ingalls

Ahh! The good ole Pb&J.

I love this snack. It is simple and fast to make and can be carried anywhere. Because of the vast health benefits peanut butter gives to the body, this snack allows you to indulge a little bit with the sweetness of the jelly, but also nourish yourself with the grains of the bread and the micro and macronutrients of the peanut butter. You can even elevate the peanut butter and jelly sandwich and add your own touch to it!