McDonald's is not just an American fast food staple, but a worldwide one. Say what you will about the famous "Golden Arches," but those people know how to make the perfect fry. While the restaurant is constantly experimenting with new menu celebrity combos such as the Cardi B and Offset meal, celebratory birthday items including the uniquely viral and super purple Grimace shake, or limited-edition treats such as the cookies & crème pie, the brand is also working on new dining concepts on the whole. According to Business Insider, McDonald's is on its way to opening a new spinoff restaurant called CosMc. 

What is CosMc?

Now, CosMc is not just a space-themed pun, it's rooted in McDonald's advertisement history. As noted in McDonald's Wiki, CosMc is a character debuted in the '80s from McDonaldland, a setting used in McDonald's ads primarily from 1971 to 2003. This little alien, CosMc, descended from outer space. In this commercial, CosMc met Ronald McDonald, Grimace, and Professor in McDonaldland and had a picnic with them. If every word I typed made no sense, don't worry, you can check out the whole video below for context.  

What will the CosMc restaurant include?

Now that we know a little bit about CosMc's history and his ability to both fly and run fast, one could imagine that the new restaurant concept would include a bit of '80s flair, intergalactic metallic decor, and hopefully, the same fries we know and love. However, McDonald's CEO Chris Kempczinski offered very little info at a recent second-quarter earnings call when unveiling the concept.

"Our new business ventures team is in the process of developing a new concept we will call CosMc's, which we will test in a small handful of sites in a limited geography beginning early next year," the CEO said. "CosMc's is a small-format concept with all the DNA of McDonald's but its own unique personality."

In traditional corporate speak, Kempczinski also said, "While our primary focus is on opening traditional units, we are always testing and learning new ways to meet the needs of our customers."

When will we know more about the CosMc restaurant?

So, yeah, he basically gave us zero insight into what this idea even means. For all we know, it could just be the release of an orange shake that they hope will replicate the success of the Grimace shake. I say stuff like this all the time when it comes to what I want my future to look like, and then I usually fall asleep and forget about that. 

However, McDonald's promises to reveal more information about CosMc's at the end of the year. 

We hope the end of 2023 will offer a delightfully nostalgic restaurant concept complete with the insanity of whatever McDonaldland is. Keep your alien fingers crossed.