Hiking is a fantastic way to get your heart rate up without having to lug yourself all the way to the gym. Whether you’re wanting to enjoy the nice outdoor weather while you’re at home or looking to explore the terrain when you’re visiting somewhere new, hiking can be the best exercise.  

In my opinion, there’s nothing better than a long, hard hike with beautiful views and a delicious snack waiting at the end. The only issue is deciding what snack to bring to keep your pack light. That’s why I’ve compiled this list to help you decide the best snack for your next outing. 

Grand Canyon: Hummus and Veggies

dairy product, cream, sweet, milk
Kendra Valkema

Hummus is a protein-packed dip that can fuel long hikes and veggies are a great way to replenish nutrients and water that you lose while sweating. Choose bright veggies of all colors like peppers, cucumbers, and carrots to reflect the beauty of the nature around you while you’re hiking. 

Yosemite: Granola

cereal, corn, wheat, granola, muesli, oat, rice, oatmeal
Tori Bilas

Yosemite National Park is over 700,000 acres, covering a huge variety of elevations and ecosystems. If Yosemite, home to Half Dome and El Capitan, is your favorite national park, you’re a fan of variety.

That’s why granola is the best snack for you to bring on a hike. It’s customizable and light, perfect for gradually fueling a long hike. 

Yellowstone: Bison Jerky

Tess Wei

If you’ve been to Yellowstone National Park, it’s pretty much a guarantee that you’ve seen their free ranging herds of bison and elk.For a hiking snack that reminds you of watching the wildlife, try some jerky. Go ahead and splurge on this good stuff, made from 100% grass-fed bison with organic spices. 

Zion Canyon: Energy Bites

sweet, chocolate, nut, cereal
Caroline Liu

Zion Canyon National Park is made up of some pretty rough terrain and home to only the hardiest animals due to the unpredictable weather.

Energy bites are a great snack for fans of the thorny beauty that Zion has to offer. They’re a hearty, reliable snack that can be customized and easily packed away for a hike. 

Olympic: Roasted Chickpeas

legume, vegetable, chickpeas, nut, garbanzo, cereal, honey, pea, meat, sweet
Kirby Barth

Roasted Chickpeas are a light, healthy snack that’s packed with protein to fuel your long hikes, like the ones you would like on the beautiful beaches and cliffs of Olympic National Park. You can pretty much add whatever spices you’d like, but if it’s a little chilly outside, I’d recommend some cayenne to add some heat to your hiking snack. 

Grand Teton: Pretzels with Nutella

chocolate, jam, sweet, honey, milk
Hailey Maher

With Yellowstone only 10 miles to the north, Grand Teton National Park is sadly overlooked as the smaller, newer park.Nutella may be a relative newcomer to the hiking snack category, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be the go-to option for dipping pretzels in on your next hike.Enjoy the stunning beauty of Grand Teton shooting up in the air while you take a moment to treat yourself to the chocolatey, nutty spread that will fuel your upcoming hike. 

Glacier: Smoked Salmon Jerky

chocolate, sweet
Ashly Kim

There’s no better snack when you’re taking in beautiful views and breathing cold, refreshing air than something you can really bite into and chew on. Smoked salmon jerky is a delicious snack option that comes from Alaska, which has a similar climate to Glacier National Park.

Great Smoky Mountains: Smoked Almonds

nut, meat, almond, apricot pits, walnut
Kendra Valkema

If Great Smoky Mountains National Park is your favorite, I’m sure that you can appreciate some good smoked barbecue, which is popular in the southern United States where the park is located.While smoked brisket or pulled pork would be a little cumbersome to bring on a hike, these smoked almonds are a great hike-friendly alternative. 

Arches: Mixed Nuts

nut, cashew, meat, hazelnut
Kirby Barth

Although climbing on the Arches has been banned, all of the hiking, climbing, and simple sight-seeing activities at Arches National Park make it clear why it’s some visitors’ favorite.Try packing mixed nuts for your next hike. They’ll remind you of the wide array of shapes the rock formations in Arches National Park have taken on over the years. 

Hawaii Volcanoes: Dried Tropical Fruit Mix

sweet, banana
Niki Laskaris

If Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is your favorite of the bunch, you’re sure to be a fan of tropical fruits. Dried fruit is a great portable alternative to the fresh version. You won’t have juice squirting everywhere and it’s like a more flavorful version of gum to chew on while you enjoy the scenery. 

Badlands: Cinnamon Apple Chips

apple, sweet
Christine Pritula

If Badlands National Park is your favorite, you have to enjoy a dry, hot climate. When you’re hiking, you should bring along some cinnamon apple chips.You can make them at home or buy them from Trader Joe’s ahead of a hike for a crunchy snack that’s a little sweet and spicy. Plus, it’s much healthier than your average chip.

Hot Springs: Frozen Grapes

pasture, vegetable
Niki Laskaris

If you’ve never tried frozen grapes, you’re missing out. My personal favorite activity is to eat them while relaxing in the hot tub. That's almost as relaxing as it would be to snack on them at Hot Springs National Park after a long hike. 

Rocky Mountains: Clif Bars

Fans of Rocky Mountain National Park are likely recurring visitors due to the park’s large network of trails. Or maybe if hiking isn’t your thing, you visit for the rock climbing and mountaineering.

Either way, if you’re on strenuous hikes you’ll want to fuel them properly with hearty snacks like clif bars. For those DIY types, you can even try this recipe to make your own. 

Since the National Park Service was established just over 100 years ago, visitors have been flowing in to enjoy the pristinely preserved ecosystems.The best way to experience a National Park is to grab a snack and hit the trails. Hopefully I’ve made the decision of what snack to pack a little easier.