Hiking is one of the best activities to take on this summer. Not only is hiking a great form of exercise, but it's a way to get out and enjoy nature. However, it's important to stay hydrated and fueled while hiking, especially in the summer heat. Finding the perfect snacks that won't weigh you down while exercising is crucial. That's why I'm here to share the best snacks for hiking with you. 

1. Nuts

cereal, coffee, nut
Katherine Carroll

One of my favorite snacks to grab for a summer hike are nuts. Whether it be peanuts, walnuts, or almonds, nuts are packed with protein and healthy fats that will leave you feeling full and energized during a hike. Not only are they nutrient-dense, nuts also take up very little room so you can take extra water and sunscreen for your hike. 

2. Dried Fruit

apple, sweet, pineapple
Hailey Nelson

Another simple and delicious snack to pack for your next hike is dried fruit. Without having to worry about it going bad in the heat, dried fruit is a great go-to. The natural sugars in this light snack will give you the energy you need to complete your hike.

3. Granola Bars

milk
Rachel Hartman

A classic on-the-go snack are granola bars. With an endless variety of brands and flavors, there is a granola bar out there for anyone who's preparing for a hike. Granola bars are an easy and satisfying way to get in the nutrients you need without filling you up too much on your hike. 

4. Apples

apple, juice, sweet
Kristine Mahan

Not only are they my favorite fruit, but apples are an easy fresh-fruit option to bring on your hike. There's absolutely nothing better than biting into a juicy, fresh apple on a hot summer day. Apples will re-fuel you with their natural sugars and leave you feeling refreshed to finish up your hike.

5. Energy Bites

chocolate, coconut, sweet, peanut, milk
Lilly Pandis

Recently I've started to hear all about energy bites. What are energy bites, you may ask? Energy bites are a combination of power foods that together make for a healthy snack. The reason they're getting so much hype is because they're simple to make, delicious to eat, and are a great pick-me-up. Another great thing about them is there are endless combinations of energy bites to make. So clearly, energy bites are a must for your next hike and will most definitely not weigh you down.

6. Oven Roasted Chickpeas

vegetable, nut, pasture, cereal, legume, hazelnut, tigernut, chickpeas
Kristine Mahan

If you're looking for a savory hiking snack, oven roasted chickpeas are the way to go. As simple as they are, chickpeas have many nutritional benefits. A great way to spice up your chickpeas (literally) is to customize the flavors you want and pop them in the oven. Oven roasted chickpeas are a great protein-packed and simple snack for hiking.

7. Nut Butter

A personal favorite of mine is nut butter. From cashew butter to almond butter, there's a variety of options to take on your next hike. The pouches of nut butters are so simple to throw in your backpack and take on your hike for a source of protein and healthy fat.

8. Oatmeal Fruit Squeeze

During a hike, it's important to get your carbs in for extra energy. Oatmeal is a great source of healthy carbs. These oatmeal fruit squeeze's are a hiking-friendly and delicious snack.

9. Celery Sticks

Before you completely disregard this snack, remember that celery is one of the most refreshing and light choices to take on a hike. Because of its high water content, celery sticks are great to take on a summer hike. If you don't want plain celery, dip them in hummus or nut butter.

10. Fruit Leather

Last but certainly not least, fruit leather is a delicious, sweet, and light snack that is great to have on hand. With endless flavor options, you'll never get bored of fruit leather. My personal favorite brand of fruit leather is Matt's Munchies. When you need a sweet snack, grab fruit leather from your backpack and keep on hiking.

If you're ready to take on a new summer adventure, get outside and bring these best snacks for hiking with you. Trust me, you'll feel energized and ready to conquer your hike.