Brown rice syrup, vegetable glycerin, organic palm kernel solids, evaporated cane invert syrup, fructose… These are just a few ingredients found in Clif, Luna, and Power Bars. Some of them may be necessary as preservatives, but it does not seem natural to have things like vegetable glycerin, which is found in many shampoos and lotions, in your food.

Not only are packaged energy and protein bars processed and contain strange ingredients, they’re also expensive. A box of six bars usually averages around $5 or more.

To save money and to keep unnecessary ingredients out of your body, try making your own energy bites. Not only are they all natural and delicious, they’re also super easy to make. You can even add or subtract some ingredients to suit your tastes, without worrying about messing them up. Just be prepared to buy A LOT of dates, because most of these recipes use them:

1. Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Bites

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of The Simple Veganista

This four-ingredient recipe is as simple as you can get. You can bake the bites, leave them raw, or freeze them for a perfect summer snack.

2.  Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Energy Bites

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of Amy’s Healthy Baking

Pumpkin spice addicts, this one’s for you. These are perfect for fall and are sure to satisfy your pumpkin pie cravings.

3.  Chocolate Coffee Energy Bites

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of organicauthority.com

Missed your morning coffee? Never fear, these energy bites are here to give you a pick me up.

4. Mint Mocha Energy Bites

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of theroadnotprocessed.com

If you love the Clif Cool Mint Chocolate Bar with caffeine, you need to try these. With almonds, walnuts, and ground coffee, they can serve as both a protein-packed and energizing snack.

5. No-Bake Energy Bites

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of Gimme Some Oven

This recipe calls for peanut butter and coconut, but you can use your favorite nut butter and omit the coconut if you aren’t a fan.

6. Strawberry Shortcake Energy Bites

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of Desserts With Benefits

There are a lot of bars out there that imitate desserts, but none are as healthy as these. Gluten and refined sugar-free, these no-bake bites are a sweet deal.

7. Chocolate Matcha Energy Balls

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of The Healthy Maven

Next time you’re craving a green tea latte from Starbucks, make these instead. Simple and protein packed, these little green bites will save calories and sugar.

8. Maple Vanilla Nut Latte Protein Bites

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of cottercrunch.com

Another one for the Starbucks junkies. These are no-bake and grain-free, so if you’re cutting out gluten, there’s nothing to worry about.

9. Cinnamon Apple Energy Bites

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of reciperunner.com

Apple pie cravings anyone? These bites are a great fall treat to snack on while studying.

10. PB&J Swirled Energy Balls

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of fitfoodiefinds.com

This healthy makeover of the classic elementary school sandwich is an energizing snack that you can store in the freezer for days when you’re crunched for time.

11. Salted Caramel Energy Bars

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of The Daily Burn

Trick your taste buds. These imitate a popular ice cream flavor, but don’t actually contain caramel.

12. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Protein Bites

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of Amy’s Healthy Baking

If you’ve never eaten raw cookie dough out of the package or bowl, you’re either lying or really hate cookie dough. Satisfy your craving without the stomachache with these protein-packed, egg-free bites.

13. Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of The Healthy Maven

In need of an on-the-go breakfast? Try these. They have a lot less sugar than actual muffins and have protein from the added nuts of your choice.

14. Carrot Cake Energy Bites

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of Running With Spoons

Another dessert-inspired creation, these no-bake balls are only missing one thing- cream cheese frosting.

15. Oatmeal Raisin Energy Bites

bite-sized snacks

Photo courtesy of getcreativejuice.com

Craving cookies? These will do. Perfect for a quick breakfast or snack, these are easy to modify with Craisins instead of raisins, peanut butter instead of almond, or added chocolate chips to make them extra sweet.

16. Pup-Friendly Peanut Butter Bites

bite-sized snacks

Photo by Caroline Liu

Finally, a snack you won’t feel guilty for sharing with your furry best friend. If you omit the chocolate chips, these are perfectly safe for your pup.

17. 5-Minute Gluten-Free Crispy Chocolate Pumpkin Bites

bite-sized snacks

Photo by Jade Silva

Two amazing flavors, one simple healthy snack. Now you can satisfy two cravings at once.