To me, Valentine’s Day has never been something I necessarily look forward to. That is until I got to college and started celebrating Galentine’s Day. February 13 is a day for me and my girlfriends to get together and celebrate our friendship. Instead of focusing on our heartbreaks, we get to celebrate with our favorite sweets and treats and make a special day out of it! Here’s your guide on how to have the best Galentine’s Day

Turn your living room into a happy hour spot

Take the cozy route and host a mini-party with your girls. Comfy is the only vibe here. If you want to go the slumber party route (think 13 Going On 30), stores like Marshalls, Target, and TJMaxx have pink pajama sets — opt for this short pink satin set from Marshalls or this long sand-colored set from TJMaxx. Both stores also have slippers and fuzzy socks that complete the look (and are under $10).  

For decorations, head to the dollar store and pick up all the red, white, and pink decor you can find. I found the cutest mini plates with hearts all over them to use for chocolate croissants on Galentine's day. If you’re a Maxxinista, head to TJMaxx for decor especially for glasses and heart-shaped wooden bowls — both under $25. Having these subtle colorful accents and heart-shaped items will make it feel more festive. I also picked up bamboo picks with pink crystals on Amazon to garnish our drinks. On the day, I’ll add some cherries to top off a pink mocktail for the perfect Galentine’s drink.  

Throw on a rom-com, show, or music to have on in the background. Some of my favorites around this time of year are She’s The Man, Sex and The City, The Last Song, or SZA’s SOS album.

Image by micheile dot com on Unsplash

Forget Secret Santa — Try Secret Cupid instead

Despite being single, I love all things pink, hearts, and girly, and setting up a secret gift exchange meant an excuse to go all out in that department. Last year, my group of best friends and I set up a fun and fancy happy hour dinner where we opened our gifts of romance books, chocolate boxes, bottles of nail polish, and treats. Target offers some of the best Valentine’s candy in such cute packaging, making for the perfect gift. This year, we continue our tradition of gifts, good food, and girl time to make the day special.

Image by Tetiana Shadrina on Unsplash

Don’t forget the food and drinks 

Party food can get expensive, especially with a big group of your besties, so instead try making this Valentine’s Day board. If you have some extra baking ingredients, you can bake together for a nice bonding experience and get rewarded with treats in the end. My favorite is to make a yellow cake and have different pink frostings and sprinkles to top it off.

You can continue the heart-shaped vibe by ordering from food stops like Chick-fil-A — which offers select menu items packaged in heart-shaped trays — or the trusty stuffed and frosted heart-shaped donuts from Dunkin. You could also make homemade heart-shaped pizzas with pink-frosted cookies on the side or opt for a gourmet dinner out.

Image by Mbuso Media on Unsplash

For drinks, go for a Shirley Temple bar with lots of different garnishes and sparkling sodas. Having different cherries, candies, and sweets to top off your mocktail turns having a simple soda into a luxe experience. 

There’s a million ways to spend Galentine’s Day, but in the end, it’s about you and your friends.