If there’s anything that we can all agree on, it’s our love for sweets — no matter which coast you’re on, we all share that common desire for treats. You may not know this, but several states and regions across the U.S. have their own candy with their own historical story that represents their state in a very unique way. Whether you’re a chocolate-lover or totally obsessed with gummies, this is your guide to regional candy throughout the United States. 

New Jersey Salt Water Taffy

Salt water taffy’s history is a long — and sticky — one. Legend has it that in the late 1800s, an Atlantic City candy shop flooded from a major storm. Not long after, a little girl had walked in asking for taffy. Apparently, the store owner jokingly offered her taffy that had been “ruined” by saltwater after the shop was filled with sea water. As the story goes, the little girl absolutely loved this sweet and salty treat. Thus, the invention of a local staple was born. Today, Forbes Candies in Atlantic City still stands as a traditional source of this oceanside favorite. You can find this taffy sold on just about every boardwalk throughout the entire Jersey Shore, or you can order it online, too, if you’re an out-of-stater. 

Wisconsin Candy Raisins

Candy raisins, even though you may have never heard of them, are a super popular and traditional candy from Wisconsin. You might be thinking that a candy raisin isn’t exactly your cup of tea. But, besides their similarity in coloring, shape, and size, there isn’t much else that resembles an actual raisin. This candy is both floral yet spicy, and locals from Wisconsin simply can’t get enough of these. Lake Country Candies is the most popular brand that carries these nostalgic gummies in Wisconsin. 

Idaho Spud

You might be thinking this candy is some potato-flavored concoction, but it's actually just a potato-shaped chocolate treat with a cocoa-marshmallow center. It's coated in dark chocolate and sprinkled with coconut. It's an Idaho favorite, and it makes sense why. Since its big debut in 1918, it's been a big hit and a beloved treat in Idaho specifically. 

Kentucky Blue Monday

Have you ever had a really bad day, and all that can cheer you up is some sweet treats? Well, this candy was specifically made for just that. Allegedly, the candy maker Ruth Hunt came up with her signature Blue Monday candy bars after hearing a traveling minister say that he needed a sweet to help get him through his blue Monday, every Monday. So, this treat was created to cure those Monday blues. It’s made with sugar, cream, butter, and semi-sweet chocolate and has a soft and creamy center covered in a chocolate shell. That could cheer me up on a bad day!

California Cup-o-Gold

A California delicacy, this chocolatey cup is filled with marshmallow, roasted almonds, and coconut flakes. It’s name comes from the 19th century Gold Rush and is meant “to provide a luxurious and indulgent candy experience.” At the time of creation, this bar stood out from other candy bars due to the combination of all the flavors. 

Ohio Buckeye

If you’re a fan of chocolate and peanut butter, then Ohio’s official candy is for you: the buckeye. Home to the buckeye nut, this state produces these nuts like no other. They look like small acorns, and the tree they grow on is actually native to Ohio, among a few other states. This candy looks just like a buckeye nut, except it's a chocolate shell that’s filled with peanut butter. During Ohio State football games, buckeye candies are everywhere. They are even considered a good luck charm by fans. This tradition has been going strong since the 1970s. Apparently, Ohioans consume more than six million pounds of buckeyes each year, and from a Ohio State University buckeye herself, I can confirm these candies are absolutely delicious.

Pennsylvania Peanut Chews

Originally made for World War I ration boxes, these small yet mighty candy bars are a favorite in Pennsylvania, but mainly in Philadelphia. They are candy bars made from roasted peanuts and molasses coated in dark chocolate. If it's good enough for soldiers to have eaten before war, they must be filling!

Kansas Valomilk Candy Cups

A more unique candy, this old fashioned milk chocolate cup is filled with runny marshmallows. It has a vanilla flavor and is a precious candy in the Midwest. You can find them at Cracker Barrel stores throughout the U.S., and they are worth a try.

Tennessee Goo Goo Clusters

If you’re in the mood for a gooey, chocolatey, and absolutely delicious treat, Tennessee’s Goo Goo Clusters might be just what you’re looking for. These sweet treats debuted as the first combination candy bar in the world, making for an overwhelmingly sweet dessert, but people love them. They have layers of marshmallow nougat, caramel, and roasted peanuts, coated in a thick layer of milk chocolate. If your mouth is watering like mine is, it’s time for both of us to take a trip down to Nashville and get a fresh cluster to satisfy your sweet tooth. 

Florida Coconut Patties

This sweet treat is definitely a classic craving we all encounter from time to time. Coconut patties, if you don’t already know, are thick patties of sweet coconut in between a thin layer of creamy dark chocolate. In the place of palm trees galore, it only makes sense to have a coconut-flavored treat as its state candy. 

Vermont Maple Sugar Candy

If you’re like me and drown your pancakes in as much maple syrup as possible, then it might be time to go to Vermont to try its iconic maple candies. Vermont is known as the home of maple syrup, and so of course, it’s featured in its state-wide famous candy. The candy is actually chocolate made from maple syrup straight from maple trees in Vermont and is blended with fresh cream pressed into the shape of maple leaves, bears, or other Vermont native shapes. This candy is sweet and gives all the fall vibes.