Marshmallows are a versatile holiday necessity. My opinion on them, however, drastically changed when my neighbor started making marshmallows from scratch and brought my family over a batch. They were pillowy and soft, they melted in my mouth, and they didn’t taste like the plastic bag store-bought marshmallows come in. Suddenly, I felt the intense desire to make marshmallows from scratch, too — and I was going to fulfill that dream.

But then life got crazy. I am a college student, after all, and there are always so many recipes begging me to bake them over the holidays. It didn’t help my motivation levels when I saw the complicated recipe my neighbor sent over for my mom and me. Thus, I continued to settle for store bought marshmallows and continued promising myself that eventually, I would get the chance to fulfill my marshmallow aspiration.

After two years of putting the task off, I am proud to say that I have finally made marshmallows from scratch. I didn’t use the recipe from my neighbor, however, because it required a candy thermometer I didn’t feel like buying. If you feel inspired to make marshmallows yourself, take comfort in knowing that the Spoon University recipe I used was fairly simple. Plus, no high-fructose corn syrup!

The Process

My quest of making marshmallows from scratch started at Fred Meyer, where I purchased powdered sugar and gelatin. The only other ingredients you need are white sugar, water, and a pinch of salt. First, I greased my pan with cooking spray and dusted it with powdered sugar. I realized later I didn’t put enough powdered sugar on my pan, so be generous with it if you try this yourself. Then, I bloomed the gelatin in water while I heated the sugar and water in a saucepan on medium heat. I was really proud of myself for not letting it boil over, because my apartment’s stovetop is a pain to clean. It only had to boil for a little bit after adding in the gelatin, and I was stirring it viciously the whole time it was bubbling happily.

Carolina Gillam

After the sugar and gelatin mixture had cooled for half an hour, I poured it into a bowl and plugged in my trusty hand mixer with its cute little whisk attachment. I added the salt and a fourth teaspoon of peppermint extract — but I probably should’ve added less, because that stuff is strong. Next came the magical part where I turned on my mixer and watched as my sugar goop transformed into creamy fluff.

Carolina Gillam

After eight minutes of nonstop whipping, my mixture had basically tripled, so I called it good and poured it into my pan. I covered it in plastic wrap and put it in my fridge to speed up the cooling process.

The Sticky Results

Cutting the marshmallows was the hardest part. The recipe recommends giving your knife a water bath between each cut, and I endorse that tip. I dusted my paper plates with powdered sugar since my marshmallows were sticking to everything. They stuck to my pan, they stuck to my knife, and they stuck to my hands. Nonetheless, I corralled all of them onto plates and dusted them liberally with powdered sugar.

Carolina Gillam

I picked up one of my squishy, sticky marshmallow squares and popped it into my mouth. At first, the mint overpowered everything and I thought I had made a horrible mistake — but it mellowed out as it dissolved in my mouth. The aftertaste reminded me of those beloved pillow mints. I immediately ate another one. My roommates sampled them, too, and it immediately made them crave hot cocoa — which we thankfully have a lot of because of my recent obsession. These homemade marshmallows turned out to be a beautiful compliment to any hot cocoa but I also have consumed plenty on their own. I was very happy with this recipe, and I think I might try adding lavender syrup to my next batch, because I will definitely be making more. Overall, I declare my first time making marshmallows from scratch a success!