Powdered sugar is perfect for creating a glaze for your favorite cinnamon rolls and sprinkling over cakes and cookies to make them look more elegant. But while powdered sugar is fairly versatile when baking, you rarely need more than 1/4 cup for any given recipe because it's so sweet. So when powdered sugar pops up on an ingredient list, is it worth making a trip back to the grocery store? There's really no need. Learning how to make powdered sugar at home is super simple and requires just one ingredient: granulated sugar.

To make homemade powdered sugar, you'll need a blender and half as much granulated sugar as you need powdered sugar. If you plan to store the powdered sugar for later use, you'll also need starch to keep the powdered sugar from caking. For this recipe I used arrowroot starch, but you can also use cornstarch. When stored in a tightly sealed container, powdered sugar lasts pretty much forever, so you can always keep it on hand for your baking needs!

Powdered Sugar

• Cook Time:0

• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon starch optional
Chris Pathmanabhan

Add the granulated sugar and starch (if you're storing it for later) to a blender or food processor.

Chris Pathmanabhan

Blend for a couple minutes or until it becomes a fine, fluffy powder.

Chris Pathmanabhan

Transfer to a container for storage.

Chris Pathmanabhan

Learning how to make powdered sugar is simple and takes almost no time and effort. Now that you've mastered this skill, you can make those perfect sugar cookies you've been eyeing, some sweet popcorn, or even vegan chocolate crinkle cookies without worrying about running out of powdered sugar.