Spring break is right around the corner and you know what that means: bikinis, sand, and lots of vitamin D. Many people choose to go on a cruise for vacation, where the sun is bright and the food abundant. Seriously, if you've never been on a cruise, free food is everywhere. But you've worked hard to maintain your spring break bod, so it makes sense you wouldn't want to reverse all the work you've done overnight. Here's a few tips to help you eat healthy on a cruise.

1. Skip the fried foods.

Cruise ships need to cater to everyone, and everyone loves fried food. But fried food is definitely not the healthiest choice. Most chicken or fish can be grilled instead of fried. Also, choose a side salad or other veggies as a side instead of fries.

#SpoonTip: This article on how to eat healthy at restaurants may be helpful.

2. Snack on fresh fruit & veggies.

sweet, salad, berry, fruit salad, strawberry
Carly Koemptgen

Especially if your cruise is going to a tropical location, they will most likely have a ton of fresh fruit and vegetables. Snack on those instead of a slice of pizza.

3. Make sure your dinner is high in protein.

tenderloin, beef, steak, lamb
Carly Koemptgen

Many cruise ships have high-protein options for dinner. Think: steak, chicken breasts, and fish. Protein keeps you full for a long time, so you won't be going back for more a few hours later.

4. Watch portion sizes.

cake, rose
Carly Koemptgen

Dessert is good. Too much dessert is not. As a matter of fact, too much of any food isn't good. Feel free to treat yourself as you please, but try smaller portions and you'll get just enough without feeling gross afterwards.

5. Check your alcohol consumption.

As any diet will tell you, alcohol is bad for the beach bod. But at the same time, you're just trying to have a good time, right? And depending on the cruise line, alcohol is in abundance. Alcohol is fine in moderation, but make sure that you are using mixers low in sugar and that you're aware how much you're drinking.

6. Scope out all your options.

On cruise ships, food is often served buffet-style. Before reaching for the first thing you see, scope out all the options. That way, you can better plan how you want to balance your meal.

7. Treat yo self.

chicken
Carly Koemptgen

As always, treat yourself. You're on vacation, so take a break! If you see something you want to eat, go for it. Just make sure that you don't overindulge.

8. Stay on track once you get home.

Carly Koemptgen

It can be easy to get back from vacation and lose motivation to keep your healthy habits up, but remember to stay on track. You worked hard to make the progress you did and ate relatively healthy on the cruise. Don't give up.

Even though there's so many unhealthy food options on a cruise ship, it is possible to still eat relatively healthy. Follow these tips on your next cruise and you won't lose any of the progress you've made so far.