If my friends and I are out in the city, their go-to place for lunch or dinner would be Chipotle. It's easy, delicious and filling... except for the fact that I've never had it. Yes, you read that right – I've never had Chipotle. Gasp all you want, but I used to associate such food as being unhealthy and way too oversized as a portion. I preferred making my own food when I got home. 

Over the years, I've definitely acquired a newfound appreciation for burritos, tacos and other delicious Mexican food that exists beyond this realm. While it's the perfect hangover cure or junk food craving, Mexican food can also be fresh, full of flavor, and most importantly, part of a healthy diet. As the weather warms, we're going to be needing some healthy Mexican recipes to wash down all those margaritas, and you can start with this list.

1. Spicy Mexican Rice 

vegetable, risotto, rice
Aracelia Skridulis

Maybe you want to bring an authentic recipe to your next fiesta or are just looking for a way to spice up a staple. Either way, this spiced Mexican rice is worth making.

2. Healthy Breakfast Burritos 

black beans, corn
Olivia Clifton

These breakfast burritos prove that being healthy doesn't mean sacrificing your favorite foods. 

3. Baked Chicken Chimichangas 

cheese, dairy product, meat, sauce, vegetable
Tiare Brown

"Baked, not fried," is what you'll be preaching when you make these chicken chimichangas

4. Tilapia Tacos

chicken, lime, bread, tomato, tacos, fish, cheese, vegetable
Maddy Shannon

These fresh and filling tilapia tacos may look like a lot of effort, but they can actually be whipped up in no time with minimal skill required.

5. Drunken Shrimp Tacos 

vegetable, seafood, fish, shrimp
Jackie Kuczynski

Hangover cure or not, these shrimp tacos are a nutrient-packed meal that's even accompanied with a homemade slaw and salsa recipe — talk about adulting! 

6. Black Bean Tomato Salsa 

onion, vegetable, pepper, tomato, salad, corn
Danica Kim

Easy, fresh and versatile — you can whip up this black bean tomato salsa in mere minutes and have it as a side, main or in any Mexican dish you desire.

7. Black Bean Mango Salad 

cucumber, onion, pepper, tomato, vegetable, salad
Rose Gerber

The tangy and sweet flavours in this black bean mango salad make it a dish that you won't want to stop eating. 

8. Sofrita Bowl 

chicken, quinoa, salad, avocado
Katherine Baker

Because when you make Chipotle meals at home you can have all the guac you want. Add as much as your heart (and stomach) desires in this sofrita bowl

9. Veggie Huevos Rancheros

vegetable
Helena Lin

Gotta start your Cinco de Mayo right with these veggie-packed huevos rancheros.  

10. Copycat Chipotle Burrito Bowl 

meat, sauce, pepper, vegetable, rice
Heather Harris

How is this Chipotle bowl healthy? By making it yourself, you decide everything and how much goes into it. Go for the chicken breast or omit the meat altogether in favor of more veggies. 

11. Authentic Guacamole 

jalapeno, avocado, vegetable, salsa, guacamole

Ain't no fiesta without the classic guac

12. Roasted Tomatillo Salsa  

juice, condiment, italian dressing, vegetable, sweet, vinaigrette
Ali Toes

For those of you who are looking to bring your salsa to the next level in heat and flavor, you should be making roasted tomatillo salsa

13. Black Bean and Corn Chilli 

meat, cereal, beans, legume, sweet, black beans, corn, vegetable
Kelda Baljon

Since the recipe asks for salsa, this hearty and healthy black bean corn chilli will pair well with your previously made tomatillo salsa. 

14. Late Summer Mexican Corn Salad 

sweet corn, meat, hazelnut, cereal, pasture, vegetable, corn
Wallis Linker

Late-summer or early-summer, this Mexican corn salad is perfect for any occasion. 

15. Vegetarian Street Tacos 

chicken, corn, meat, tacos, vegetable
Katy Shetler

Now you can bring the street food straight to your kitchen, with a much healthier twist that doesn't skimp on flavor. Make these veggie-packed street tacos now. 

16. Avocado Quesadillas 

salsa, cheese, tomato, chicken
Emily Gordon

The ingredients on their own are already making me hungry, so don't wait up and satisfy yourself with these healthy avocado quesadillas

17. Lime-Mango Sorbet

sorbet, sweet, milk, ice, dairy product, cream
Amelia Weller

We need something to cool us off from all the chili and spice, and what a better way than with a healthy, yet refreshing lime-mango sorbet?

I hope these healthy Mexican recipes have inspired you to break from the conventional taco or burrito, and to make your own food rather than always relying on fast food chains. By doing that, you're already making the healthier choice no matter what food you're indulging in. Being healthy is also about enjoying good food in good company, so don't fret about having one extra serving. Enjoy!