Fresh, quick and healthy, this tilapia taco recipe is easy to make and allows for a lot of variation. Since fish has the shortest cooking time of any protein, it’s perfect for when you’re hungry and in a rush. The rest of this recipe is just chopping and assembling, which can be done in advance to save even more time. If you want to mix it up, use chicken instead of fish, try a different sauce like fresh pesto to top it off, or add sliced jalapeños for an extra kick.

Easy

Time: 20 minutes

Servings: 2

1 tilapia fillet
1-2 teaspoons chili powder
1 handful fresh cabbage
1 large carrot
1/2 avocado
6 cherry tomatoes
2 tortillas
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Homemade Tartar Sauce:
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sweet relish
1/2 lime, juiced

1. Slice cabbage into thin strips, grate carrot, halve cherry tomatoes and dice avocado.
2. Run tilapia fillet under cold water and blot dry with paper towel. Sprinkle both sides with salt, pepper and chili powder.
3. Place pan over medium heat and add olive oil. When oil is hot, place seasoned fillet into pan.
4. Cook fish until it is white and flaky when cut with a fork, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
5. Prepare tartar sauce while fish is cooking by mixing together mayonnaise, sweet relish and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Place tortilla into pan after the fish has been removed. Cook in leftover olive oil until crispy, about 1 minute on each side.
7. Assemble your fish tacos and enjoy!

How to Cook Fish

Fish is best when bought and cooked fresh. Read below to learn how to properly cook a fillet.

1. Before cooking, cut fish fillet into even portions, and season it according to whatever recipe you’re using. A simple seasoning of salt, pepper and flour can work wonders if you don’t have other spices around.

2. Fish can be cooked in a pan on the stove or baked in the oven. To pan-sear a fish fillet, heat the pan over medium-high heat and add oil. It’s important to let the oil heat up before putting the fish in the pan. Once the oil is hot, add the seasoned fish.

3. Cooking time depends on the thickness of the fish.Most white fish fillets take about 2 minutes per side until they turn golden brown. On the other hand, salmon is best baked in the oven for about 20-30 minutes, depending on the temperature of the oven and the recipe’s instructions.