Sadly, all good things must end, and summer is no exception. September is quickly approaching; with that, we must celebrate the end of the summer season with a bang. As we know, summer is the best time to enjoy things like hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill, but also the prime time to enjoy a number of fresh fruits and vegetables like watermelon, corn, cantaloupe, and zucchini. To make sure you take advantage of all the best that summer has to offer, we compiled a list of the top 10 summer foods you have to eat before the dog days are over.

1. Lobster rolls

The lobster roll is a classic sandwich to indulge in during the summer months. While this dish is popular in the New England area, you can find it at lots of seafood restaurants across the country. Made with mayonnaise, celery, and cold chunks of lobster, this sandwich is hard to dislike. 

Photo by Deane Bayas from Pexels

2. Açaí bowls

Açaí bowls are the perfect meal to enjoy for breakfast or lunch. They are cold, refreshing, and a delicious and light alternative to ice cream or other frozen desserts. You can add any number of toppings to your açaí including granola, Nutella, peanut butter, honey, coconut, and a variety of fresh fruit. 

Photo by Madison Inouye from Pexels

3. Cucumber, watermelon, & feta salad

This salad is light and has a unique mixture of sweet and savory flavors. Watermelon is one of the most popular fruits to enjoy during the summer months, and this recipe adds an interesting spin on an already fan-favorite fruit. 

Molly Gottesman

4. Cowboy caviar

Cowboy caviar was a recipe that went viral on TikTok about a year ago. This recipe is made with beans, tomatoes, corn, avocado, pepper, onion, and cilantro. There are a variety of recipes all over the internet for this popular dip. It is great for an appetizer or a light addition to any summer meal. 

Annie Martin

5. Grilled peaches

Along with watermelon, peaches are another peak summer fruit best enjoyed when it’s warm out. They are sweet, juicy, and delicious on their own or in a number of pastries. Grilled peaches are extremely easy to make and only require a grill, oil, some ice cream, and honey

Photo by Vlad Deep from Unsplash

6. S’mores

S’mores need no introduction. They are a staple dessert and summer activity. This is simply a reminder to enjoy a campfire, roast a marshmallow, and have a s’more at least once before fall. 

Photo by Kindel Media from Pexels

7. Grilled chicken, pepper, and onion kebabs

Kebabs are another great meal to enjoy on the grill. While we suggest a combination of chicken, onions, and peppers, you can also use fish or steak, add zucchini or tomatoes, and any number of different seasonings. 

Photo by Victoria Shes from Unsplash

8. Elote corn

Elote corn is a street corn recipe made on an open grill with a combination of seasonings such as salt, lime, chili, and butter. Elote corn is delicious, but we honestly just suggest enjoying some corn however you like it during these last weeks of August. 

Photo by Marieth Díaz from Pexels

9. Guacamole

While many companies make pre-packaged guacamole that you can enjoy any time of year, there is truly nothing like the creamy and salty taste of fresh guacamole with onions, tomatoes, lime, and cilantro. 

Photo by RDNE Stock project from Pexels

10. Blueberry pie

Pie is another classic summer dessert, it is especially popular on holidays like Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day. While apple and pecan pies are classics, we suggest trying flavors such as cherry, peach, and blueberry. 

Photo by 陈 欣茹 from Pexels