Do you love backyard barbecues, pool parties, and tailgating on game day? If you answered yes, then this Southern twist to Cowboy Caviar is for you. The best part? It’s easy to make, healthy, and delicious. What more could you ask for?

Many of you probably have heard of the infamous Texas Cowboy Caviar. This Southern Caviar is similar, but with a new fun approach! My mom has been making this for years, and whenever we bring it to a party, everyone asks for the recipe. Every time I make this Southern Caviar, I change things up a bit. This is a great recipe to experiment with! 

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients for Southern Caviar Salsa: 

-3 cans of black beans

-2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chilis (I like Rotel)

-1 can of diced tomatoes

-3 ears of corn (scraped off the cob)

-1 bunch of green onions

Ingredients for Good Seasonings Italian Dressing:

-1 seasoning packet

-1/4 a cup of white distilled vinegar

-3 table spoons of water

-1/2 a cup of canola oil 

Instructions:

-Drain the 3 cans of black beans into a strainer then rinse off, place in a mixing bowl (this is where all the contents of your salsa will go, so make sure the bowl is big enough)

-Drain the diced tomatoes then place in bowl with black beans

-Dump both cans of Rotel into bowl

-Shuck the 3 ears of corn, then rinse with water for about 5 seconds. Then wrap the ears of corn with wax paper (or a paper towel) and place in the microwave on high for about 3 minutes.

-Next, rotate the ears of corn then turn the microwave on for another 2 minutes

-While the corn is cooking, rinse the green onions, chop, and place in bowl

-After corn cools off, cut the corn off the 3 ears and put in bowl

-Make the Good Seasonings Italian Dressing, put dressing in to taste (I usually use a cup of dressing in my salsa)

-Although you can eat the salsa right away, I prefer eating it a day after making it, once the contents have marinated in the dressing

Notes:

-I have used many different types of beans and Rotel in this salsa, feel free to experiment!

-If you want to go for a fresher approach, you can always use the traditional can of Rotel and add fresh cilantro and lime juice

-You are more than welcome to boil your corn, but I microwave it to save time

-If you’re an avocado lover, throw them in the dip, I’ve tried this variation before and it’s delicious! 

If you enjoyed this recipe? Check out this homemade roasted tomatillo and serrano salsa recipe here

Annie Martin