When spring break is mentioned, we often think of beach parties, cocktails, and carefree fun. But what about those who don't drink or choose sobriety? While the typical go-to spring break activities might leave people who don’t drink feeling left out, it’s possible to have an unforgettable spring break without depending on alcohol. From creative mocktail recipes to alternative ways to have fun, this guide to having a fun and sober spring break has practical tips and insights to ensure a fulfilling and memorable break without FOMO.

The Best Mocktails For Spring Break

Photo by solod_sha from Pexels

First of all, who says you need alcohol to enjoy a refreshing beverage? Sure, the allure of a frozen margarita might be strong, but think of the improved health and the mental clarity that comes with staying sober and enjoying a good mocktail. There are so many good mocktail recipes that capture the essence of tropical destinations and beaches. Some of my favorites are a wild blueberry lavender lemonade, which is sweetened with honey or maple syrup, and infused with lavender and wild blueberries, and a good mojito mocktail with a refreshing mix of lime and mint.

If you are looking for some non-traditional refreshing mocktails, like a blueberry ginger cooler, a mango mint mocktail, and a watermelon chamomile mocktail, check out this list of booze-free mocktails. Looking for an astrological approach? Choose your mocktail based on your zodiac sign. As a Libra, I can definitely say that the strawberry and orange fizz mocktail sounds yummy and fitting to my personality. You can have a great spring break sipping on these drinks and having fun with friends and relaxing.

Alternative Spring Break Activities That Don’t Involve Alcohol

Photo by Анна Галашева from Pexels

So you have your mocktail in hand. Now what? It's time to explore alternative spring break activities that don't revolve around drinking. The FOMO surrounding alcohol is widespread for Gen Z and can lead to "significant negative consequences across different aspects of life,” according to one study. However, there are so many ways to have fun, and partying doesn’t have to revolve around alcohol. It’s more about the activities and the people around you. Here are some ways to have a blast during spring break without feeling like you’re missing out.

Gather your friends and head to the beach for a beach picnic. Spring is a great time since it gets warmer but still not extremely hot. This is such a great way to socialize and have a good time outside. Make sure to pack some delicious snacks and refreshing drinks. Need more advice? Check out our guide to everything you need to pack for a perfect picnic. This includes a variety of food options like finger sandwiches, fresh fruit, chips and salsa, and mason jar salads. I also recommend packing a cooler filled with ice-cold drinks like lemonade, soda, and water. You can end your night with a cozy bonfire gathering with your friends at the beach, toasting marshmallows (a classic), or also trying s'mores wrapped in a Pillsbury crescent roll, ready to be served in 30 minutes.

Another option is to get creative in the kitchen and host a cooking workshop or competition with friends or family. To make it more fun and engaging, you can choose a theme and spend the afternoon experimenting with new recipes. I did this with my friends once, and it was very fun and a great way to spend time. We chose an Italian cuisine theme and had a small competition of who made the best pizza. This is a great bonding experience and an alternative way of having fun.

Social pressure to drink can be real, especially during spring break. But I hope this guide gives you alternative activities/drinks to try if you’re ever feeling FOMO but don’t want to drink. So there you have it: a guide to spring break without alcohol, but with plenty of fun and no FOMO in sight.