For me, Summer is all about potlucks, eating outside, and using the grill as often as possible, which also means cool and refreshing drinks to complement your food are a must. Pink lemonade and soda for the kids, and cocktails for the adults. So what happens to those of us who have grown out of powdered lemonade and Capri Sun, but are not interested in alcohol? That's where the wonderful world of non-alcoholic mocktails comes in.

A mocktail is any non-alcoholic drink that mimics the satisfying and complex flavor of a cocktail. These drinks feature herbs, spices, vinegars, and more, but do not contain any alcohol. Like cocktails, they come in all different flavors and levels of sweetness, and are more sophisticated, but just as refreshing, as the fruity drinks we craved as kids in the summer.

Whip up some of these non-alcoholic mocktails at your next weekend barbecue to prevent any non-drinking adult from walking over to the sad cooler of juice boxes meant for the kids. 

1. Blueberry Ginger Cooler

This slightly spicy, ginger-spiked drink makes for a super refreshing sip. It is simple to make and sure to please a crowd. Top it with blueberries and fresh mint for an even more refined look.

2. Huckleberry Shrub

The term shrub refers to sweetened vinegar-based drinks that have the same crave-worthy tang as drinks like Kombucha. They are a little sour, a little sweet, and best served ice-cold. This recipe features huckleberries, but you could easily substitute blackberries or another fruit of your choice if you can't find those at the grocery store. 

3. Chile Lime Pineapple Soda

This non-alcoholic mocktail has a kick to it, and is sure to surprise your guests. Infused with lime juice, peppercorns, and dried chiles, this sweet pineapple drink packs a serious punch.

4. Mango Mint Mocktail

If you're looking for something a little different to serve at your backyard get-together, consider this tropical drink. Based on the flavors of a mojito, this ginger-beer based, minty mocktail is sure to keep you cool and satisfied all evening.

5. Watermelon Chamomile Mocktail

watermelon, juice, sweet, melon
Kathleen Lee

If you're looking for something mild and soothing to keep you cool, this is the drink for you. The calming power of chamomile and fresh sweetness of the watermelon make this cocktail perfect for relaxing after a day manning the grill.

6. Strawberry Lime Shrub

Sangria, Food in the Air, Drinks, Bar, rooftop, Spain, Madrid, Summer, rooftop lounge, rooftop bar, cafe
Amy Dong

If you are secretly craving the sweet berry drinks of your childhood, this one is for you. The familiar sweet and sour flavors of strawberry and lime, accompanied by the tang of apple cider vinegar make this drink an adultified reminder of the pink lemonade from your childhood.

7. Cucumber Honeydew Mint Soda

vegetable, water, matcha latte, green tea, iced matcha latte, iced latte, green drinks, matcha
Sam Jesner

If you like your drinks bright green and veggie-packed, this is the mocktail for you. Sweetened with honeydew and brightened with mint, this soda will make even the hottest of days bearable. 

8. Basil Lemonade Mocktail

juice, sweet, lemon, mint, lemonade, citrus, cream

For a classic drink that is sure to please skeptics and kids alike, go for this comforting combination. No one can turn down lemonade in the Summer, and the subtle flavor of basil makes this lemonade more interesting than any old powdered mix.

Free stock photo of alcohol, alcoholic, bar

on Pexels

Add a couple of these to your weekend barbecue menu and become a master of outdoor entertaining. All of these mocktails have something sweet and something surprising, and are sure to impress guests of all ages and palates.