Picnics are a classic summer activity, and now that summer is arriving, it is time to take meals outside. However, knowing what to pack for the perfect picnic can be hard, and if you forget something, you either have to go back and get it or make do without it. Luckily, I've put together a list of important things to consider to make your next picnic an unforgettable summer memory.

The Bag

The first thing to consider is your bag. You can't pack for a perfect picnic without the right bag. As much as the classic picnic basket makes for a perfect Insta picture, it really isn’t practical. I prefer to bring my backpack because it's sturdy and can hold more stuff. You don’t have to awkwardly drag a wicker basket along when you're searching for the perfect picnic spot. 

The Blanket 

The most important part of this blanket is size. You want the blanket to be large enough to fit all of your friends and food. You might also want to consider something that is thicker, because if the ground is slightly wet, the last thing you want is to feel muddy and gross. What I like to do is combine a bunch of beach towels to make a big blanket. 

#SpoonTip: make sure your blanket is washable so you don't have to worry about spilling or dirt. 

The Food 

tea, beer
Kendall Blizzard

The food is obviously the most important part, so I've decided to break this part of the list up into food and drink. Make things easier on yourself by making it potluck style, and be sure to coordinate what you are bringing.

#SpoonTip: If you're in the mood for a casual party, try planning a themed picnic

The Eats 

There are so many different food options you could pack for the perfect picnic. I love when picnics have a variety of small foods like finger sandwiches or fresh fruit. Other options include mason jar salads or chips and fresh salsa. Make sure to pack something sweet to finish off your meal, but just make sure it won't melt. My favorite picnic desserts include chocolate chip cookies and fruit tarts. 

#SpoonTip: Unless you are going to eat right away, don't pack anything that needs to be refrigerated, or bring along ice packs to keep your food fresh and cool.

The Drinks

juice, mint, lemonade, lemon, sweet, cocktail
Mary Schoneman

My number one recommendation is to pack a drink that can be resealed. Cans of La Croix or soda have their place in the world, but picnics aren't it. You want something resealable so you don't attract bees or have to worry about spilling on uneven ground. If your drink is cold (or hot) make sure to pack it in a thermos. My drink recommendations include lemonade, sweet tea or wine (if you're feeling fancy). 

The Guests

beer, water
Camille Balhorn

Last but not least, don't forget the friends. Going on a picnic and forgetting to bring other people along would be a mistake. Picnics are truly one of the best ways to create summer memories with friends and family.  

Your picnic does not have to be anything crazy fancy to be something special. All you really need is good friends and decent weather, but a perfectly packed picnic basket won't hurt to make the memory even sweeter.