Truth be told, I've appreciated cauliflower long before it got trendy (so hipster, I know). The spongy white veggie isn't some new and exciting superfood. All your life, it just sat there, all alone on the vegetable tray. However, it's recently gotten super popular because of its texture and subtle flavor, and because it can be cooked in so many different ways. Here are 11 of my favorite ways to cook cauliflower, besides just steaming it. 

1. Pizza 

pizza, sauce, tomato, meat, cheese, mozzarella
Paige Marie Rodgers

Cauliflower has a spongy texture that can help you make the perfect gluten-free pizza crust. Add whatever toppings you'd like. Even if you're not gluten-free, this is still a healthy alternative to Domino's.

2. Steak

Kaitlyn Mulligan

Instead of spending your entire grocery budget for the week on a piece of red meat, try a cauliflower steak. The texture is similar to a real steak, and there's not as much fat and calories. Add whatever spices that you would add to your steak. 

3. Buffalo Cauliflower "Wings"

sauce, meat, chicken, pork, vegetable, beef
Katie Zizmor

You won't miss the meat with this buffalo-style cauliflower. You prepare it just like you'd prepare wings, but these "wings" are much healthier and won't put you in a food coma after the big game. 

4. Rice

rice, cereal, risotto, salt, vegetable
Kristine Mahan

Cauliflower rice gives zoodles a run for their money. This rice is carb-free but similar in texture to real rice. Use it to make fried rice or homemade Chipotle burrito bowls. 

5. Soup

Avery Nicholson

Cauliflower gives this roasted red pepper soup a rich creaminess. This soup is loaded with nutrients and is super flavorful and filling. 

6. "Orange Chicken" Style

meat, rice, sauce, vegetable, pork, chicken
Danielle Weinstein

Craving takeout but don't want to spend the money? Not to worry, orange chicken-style cauliflower is here to satisfy your cravings. The sweet and tangy sauce gives cauliflower the same flavor as your favorite takeout dish. 

7. Tacos

Angela Kerndl

If you forgot about Meatless Monday, try Meatless Taco Tuesday with these cauliflower tacos. You can make both taco filling and taco shells out of this magic vegetable. 

8. Grilled Cheese

meat, sauce, pastry, sweet, cake, grilled cheese sandwich, cheese
Paige Marie Rodgers

This grilled cheese is carb-free, but you won't even miss the bread. Use your leftover cauliflower rice (see #4) to make this cheesy masterpiece. 

9. Hummus

rice, vegetable, meat, pork
Emma Lally

You can pretty much make hummus out of anything these days, but this cauliflower hummus is super flavorful, filling, and spicy. Enjoy it at your next party with pita chips and veggies, but don't tell anyone what the secret ingredient is. 

10. Mashed "Potatoes"

cheese, spinach, parmesan
Alison Weissbrot

These cauliflower mashed "potatoes" are low in carb and actually don't contain any potatoes. They're flavored with garlic and onions. You won't even miss the potatoes because mashed cauliflower has a very similar texture. 

11. Indian-style

I had to include this because it's one of my favorite Indian dishes. My mom sautés cauliflower and potatoes in tons of lovely Indian spices, and it's an irresistible side dish. Sometimes I even snack on leftovers. 

This white spongy veggie is not the most striking thing at the supermarket, but it is one of the most versatile ingredients out there. With so many ways to cook cauliflower, you'll never run out of ideas. Move over, broccoli!