When you think of sweet potatoes, the first thing that comes to mind may be Thanksgiving, in which they're covered with toasted marshmallows. Another common use for the vegetable is in sweet potato fries, which can be prepared with rosemary and sea salt or eaten at many different restaurants. Sweet potato recipes have taken over the internet and social media trends from sweet potato bowls to sweet potato toast. This healthy and relatively inexpensive food has transitioned from side dishes to the star of any meal. In fact, these 10 vegan recipes will have you eating sweet potatoes all day long.  

BREAKFAST

Sweet Potato Pancakes

While the idea of 'potato pancakes' may draw to mind Latkes, these sweet potato pancakes are fluffy and full of cinnamon. If you have a little extra time, top them with some homemade coconut whipped cream and fresh fruit.   

Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl

This sweet potato bowl is super easy and adaptable, making it the perfect quick breakfast for peanut butter and berry lovers. 

LUNCH

Sweet Potato and Kale 'Mac and Cheese'

There are a lot of vegan mac and cheese recipes out there, but creamy sauce is simple and doesn't require any fake vegan cheese

Sweet Potato Falafel

It doesn't matter if you eat these homemade sweet potato falafel in a pita with lettuce or a rice bowl, either makes a perfect lunch. 

SNACK

Chipotle Sweet Potato Hummus

meat, vegetable, bread, sweet, cream, dairy product
Spoon University

Truth be told, I eat hummus almost everyday when I'm not at home. It's a great combination of healthy fats and protein and is perfect on raw vegetables and bread alike. Kick it up a notch with sweet potatoes and chipotle seasoning.

Sweet Potato Crackers

While they may look like Cheez-Its, these 6 ingredient crackers are actually plant-based and gluten free. Filled with garlic and rosemary, these crunchy crackers are perfect on their own or dipped in homemade guacamole.

DINNER

Sweet Potato Cauliflower Curry

Try this sweet potato and cauliflower curry next time you need a warm and hearty meal. Serve with flatbread or rice to soak up extra sauce and you won't be disappointed. 

Sweet Potato Gnocchi

Making homemade gnocchi may seem intimidating, but this sweet potato recipe only requires 3 ingredients: sweet potato, flour, and sea salt. Top it with dairy-free avocado pesto, simple homemade tomato sauce, or enjoy it on its own.

DESSERT

Chocolate Chip Sweet Potato Muffins      

Like pumpkin, sweet potato makes the perfect muffin base. Cinnamon and cardamom add a burst of flavor and mini chocolate chips just make everything more fun.  

Purple Sweet Potato Pie

This pie recipe may be a little more involved than some of the classics, but with a spicy purple filling in a sweet graham cracker style crust, it definitely belongs on your Thanksgiving table.

sweet potato, sweet, potato, chicken
Megan Rivenburg

Of course, this isn't an exhaustive list of sweet potato recipes or meal ideas, but it's hopefully enough to get you started. There are a lot more recipes out there, some of which are created specifically for certain types of sweet potatoes, including Japanese sweet potatoes and purple sweet potatoes. But no matter what color you find, be sure to pick up a few sweet potatoes the next time you go to the supermarket and enjoy them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Or just eat sweet potatoes for all three.