This year, Thanksgiving is also the first day of Hanukkah. With two great holidays overlapping, there’s no better way to celebrate than by infusing the spirit of both in the kitchen. Traditional latkes are given a turkey-day twist by using sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. Curried ketchup makes an excellent dipping sauce, which is both spicy and savory and provides a nice balance to the sweet and earthy potato pancakes. For a more traditional cooking method, latkes can be pan-fried on the stovetop; for a slightly less messy and healthier product, latkes can also be baked in the oven. Either way, these latkes are special enough for the holidays, but delicious enough to enjoy year round. Happy Thanksgivukkah!

Medium

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-50 minutes
Total Time: 35-65 minutes

Servings: 2-4

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

1 pound sweet potatoes (2-3 medium sized sweet potatoes)
1 shallot or 1/2 medium onion
1 egg
1/8 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash cumin
2-3 tablespoons canola oil (if using pan-fry method)
4 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon curry powder

1. If using baking as your cooking method, preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Dice the shallot or onion into small pieces and place in a medium bowl.

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

3. Crack the egg into a separate small bowl and whisk.

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

4. Peel sweet potatoes and using a cheese grater, grate the sweet potatoes into the bowl with onions. Add the flour, baking powder, and cumin and mix well. Add the egg and mix all the ingredients together until all potato shreds are coated and the mix is well combined.

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

5. If using the pan-fry cooking method, heat 2 tablespoons canola oil over moderately high heat in a skillet or fry pan. Once hot, reduce heat to moderate and scoop about 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture from the bowl and form into a flat patty using hands. Lower gently into oil using a slotted spoon metal or wooden spoon or a pancake flipper. Allow to fry until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Flip the patty and allow the other side to brown for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel. Pat excess oil from the latke and season with salt. It is possible to cook 2 latkes at a time, but take care not to overcrowd the pan. Repeat with remaining batter.

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

6. If using the baking method, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture from the bowl and form into a flat patty using hands. Place patties on the baking sheet, with at least an inch between all patties. Bake for 35 minutes, then using a metal tongs, flip each patty and bake an additional 8-15 minutes or until patties are lightly browned. Remove from oven, season with salt, and allow to cool.

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

7. To make curried ketchup, place ketchup in a small bowl, add curry powder, and stir until well combined.  Proportions of ketchup and curry powder can be adjusted to taste.

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

8. Serve latkes with curried ketchup for dipping.

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker

latkes

Photo by Katherine Baker