Have you ever had those long layovers in between connecting flights where you have no idea how to entertain yourself, or you already did everything you could do to have fun? When traveling, sometimes we have to make connections in different airports and waiting in between flights can get tedious. You have no idea what to do; you just want to get to your destination and don’t want to worry about the amount of time you have to spend in the airport. 

After having to spend 11 hours in an airport in Atlanta and 6 hours in Washington, I have come up with a few things you can do to keep yourself from dying of boredom.

1. Eat

Most airports are full with fast food chains, and others just have a few restaurants around the airport. Some of the restaurants may be new to you, and you probably have never heard of them, but believe me, those are the best ones to eat at. It is always a good idea to try new places. 

Many airports also have bars or pubs that you can both drink and eat at. If you feel stressed or tired from flying, find the closest one to your next gate and relax with your favorite drink. 

If it happens to be that you are at the Washington Reagan Airport, I strongly recommend you to eat at "& Pizza"; you won't be disappointed.  

2. Grab a coffee and read a book 

pizza, bacon, coffee
Alexandra Oduber

This is the perfect time to start or finish reading that book that you have wanted to read but didn't have time. Find the closest coffee shop around you, order your favorite and sit down, relax, and enjoy your coffee while reading your book. 

If you didn't bring any book with you, look out for a store where they sell magazines or books. Distract yourself by looking at the options and, when you find the perfect one to buy, start reading it while you wait. 

3. Watch Netflix

chocolate, popcorn
Andrea Leelike

Before you leave your current destination, make sure to download as many TV shows or movies as possible. Because some airports don't offer free wifi, you want to be ready to face any obstacle that refrains you from using your computer.

Be sure to get some drinks and snacks before you start watching whatever you have chosen. 

4. Shop 

Many airports have a lot of duty-free stores that you could go in and shop at. Maybe you can buy a gift for a close relative that you forgot during your trip, or you can buy something you forgot to pack when you were leaving home. 

If you are in a small airport that has no stores, there should be at least a small gift shop that sells apparel from the country or state you are in that you can look at.

5. Explore the city 

Anna Sokolowski

If you have a layover for more than 8 hours, you have plenty of time to leave the airport and visit places that are nearby. Research the country you are in and find restaurants that you can eat at or tour the country's most visited area. 

If you don't feel like going far from the airport, look for close shopping malls and entertain yourself for a few hours there. But, remember to be back at the airport two hours before your next flight!

Sometimes traveling can be exhausting, especially if you have a long layover in between flights and don't know what to do in the meantime. Be ready and pack the essentials for you to distract yourself when you are waiting for your next flight. Airports can sometimes be fun if you have everything you need to have a good time!