With spring fast approaching, bright flavors are working their way back into public favor. Most people get pretty excited to incorporate limes, lemons, and oranges back into their lives, but why does the citrus buck have to stop there? Meet the underrated, underappreciated, and underrepresented sibling of the citrus family: grapefruit. With it's vibrant, (usually) red center and "I'm bitter but refreshing" attitude, grapefruit deserves a place in your diet. Full of vitamins, minerals, and potential, you owe it to yourself to learn how to fall in love with grapefruit this spring.

Besides being super high in vitamins A and C, grapefruit comes in a surprising number of varieties- 13 or 14, depending on who you ask. The flavors of each of these types range, from the well-known pink grapefruit to the sweet and acidic white marsh grapefruit, meaning that there's something for everyone! If you're feeling adventurous, give these next few ideas a try.

USE #1: JUICE

juice, citrus, cocktail, lemon, sweet, lemonade, ice, grapefruit, lime
Mary Schoneman

If you've never had grapefruit juice before, I don't know how to tell you that you've been missing out, but you've been missing out. All the sophistication of a morning cocktail with all the fun and flavor of any other fruit juice means you can spice up your morning (or afternoon... or evening) with a beverage that doesn't bore you but will still keep you hydrated and happy.

USE #2: FRUIT SALAD

Seasonal Fruit Salad

arnold | inuyaki on Flickr

For anyone who feels like they might not be able to hang with grapefruit, but you still kind of want to mingle, this is a solid option for you. There's no need to limit yourself to just grapefruit when you could mix it up with some other seasonal fruits, and snack on something as colorful as it is delicious!

USE #3: OTHER SALAD

Chickpea Salad - Salad Plate - Brunswick Street Alimentari AUD10

avlxyz on Flickr

Hear me out: salad, but make it extra. Who isn't tired of just boring old leaves with some dressing on them?? If I wanted to graze like a cow, I'd move to a pasture! Instead, as a woman of culture, I know that sprucing up your salads is one of life's (and lunch's) greatest pleasures. Try throwing some chopped up grapefruit in the mix, or even getting creative with a grapefruit dressing or vinaigrette to bring your salad from sad to succulent.

USE #4: UNIQUE DESSERTS

Cranberry Sorbet with Clementines and Mint

Angela Schmeidel Randall on Flickr

Sometimes, health and indulgence really can mix, and nothing tastes fresher than a fruit-based dessert. If you feel the spirit of spring move you, try getting some grapefruit and simple syrup or sugar together and preparing your own sorbet at home. Grapefruit also mixes well with tons of other fruits traditionally used in cakes and pies, so don't be afraid to get creative!

USE #5: EXCITING BREAKFASTS

Smoothies

Gabriel GM on Flickr

Grapefruit is such an adaptable fruit that you could find so many ways to mix it into your morning! Smoothies, fruit and yogurt parfaits, and even compotes to top waffles and pancakes could be improved with the addition of some grapefruit. Use the start of a new day as an excuse to try something new, too!

Looking for some other grapefruit-y breakfast inspo? Check out this article!

Wrapping Up

grapefruit

Aubree Flink on Flickr

Instead of just dipping your toes into the world of citrus this spring, why not dive in, head-first, and give this underappreciated fruit a try? Its flexibility and vibrant flavors make it the perfect choice for about a million different recipes just waiting to be made by you. So, as the weather gets warmer, the grass gets greener, and the days get longer, let your tastes get even bolder with a little bit of grapefruit in your life.