Do you constantly crave processed sugar? Do you find it difficult to avoid dessert? Then you may be suffering from STS, also known as “Sweet Tooth Syndrome.”
That’s right, the fictitious syndrome based on the constant desire for anything sweet, regardless of cost. You see, I too suffer from this condition. Fortunately, I have found a way to rectify this unhealthy habit by substituting healthier options in for dessert, options that are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
1. It’s all about the fruit, baby
Fruit is sweet, thanks to its natural sugars. Next time you crave Sour Patch Kids, try something with fruit (berries in particular) instead.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries (or any fruit, really; chocolate makes everything better)
- Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles
- Grilled Fruit (if you’re in the mood for something crazy)
- Pan-Seared Cinnamon Bananas (or apples)
- Berries and Cream (a bowl of berries mixed with whipped cream)
- Fruit Roll Up (no, not the ones you buy in the store)
- Fruit and Vegan Pudding (just place the berries into the pudding; I recommend chocolate pudding with raspberries)
- Paleo Apple Spice Cake
- Baked Berry Oatmeal
- Fruit Popsicle (or “frop-sicle” as I like to call it)
- Fruit Salad
- Banana Ice Cream (also known as a fruit whip)
2. Let’s get nuts (or seeds)
These contain natural fats and are fairly filling. In general, I am not a nut person, but they can make tasty dessert options when prepared right, either as the bulk of the treat, or as a delicious topping.
- Roasted Nuts
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Dark Chocolate Nutty Bark
- Chia-seed Pudding Pie
- Chia-seed Pudding (can be topped with berries, cream, or cocoa powder)
3. Sugar, spice, and everything nice
Of course, to make certain options healthier, you’ll need to use less sugar or butter in some recipes. No need to panic, however, as there are some excellently sweet alternatives.
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Pretzels (or yogurt covered)
- Chocolate Covered Corn Flakes (yes, the cereal)
- Healthier Brownies
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- Homemade Rice Krispies
- Dessert Smoothies
The options for healthier desserts are endless and I hope you will try some of those listed above.