The great part about my new dorm is that I have a fully functioning kitchen down the hall. The not-so-great part about my new dorm is that I share the kitchen with 32 other girls. Although cooking is now an option, it’s not always convenient. Making dinner requires collecting the pots to cook my meal, then washing those same pots immediately after eating. Maybe it’s just me, but after I eat a good meal I prefer to sit down and relax for a while, not wash dishes. To solve this problem, I’ve begun cooking meals that I can save as leftovers so I won’t have to cook as often. Mexican food, one of my favorite types of food, has definitely made it onto my grocery list. Being gluten-free also leaves me with a lot of rice that needs some spicing up. This Mexican rice recipe makes a yummy dinner that can definitely be saved for later.

Easy

Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes

Servings: 4

1 can chicken broth (14 oz)
1 cup sour cream
½ cup diced green chile peppers (4 oz)
1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
1 can yellow corn (8¾ oz drained)
1 cup uncooked white rice

Photo by Bari Blanga

Directions:
1. In a large pot, boil the rice and chicken broth.

Photo by Bari Blanga

2. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Photo by Bari Blanga

3. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

4. Spray 1-1/2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray (unless you are using a non-stick pan).

5. Mix the sour cream, green chile peppers, corn and ½ cup of cheese with the cooked rice.

Photo by Bari Blanga

6. Sprinkle salt generously.

7. Scoop the rice mixture into the casserole dish and top with the leftover ½ cup of cheese.

Photo by Bari Blanga

8. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.

Photo by Bari Blanga

This recipe was inspired by a similar recipe on justapinch.com