Spoon University Logo
44bd1ad0 7b9a 4d23 b761 b3e3dd0b0565?width=734&height=489&fit=crop&auto=webp&dpr=4
44bd1ad0 7b9a 4d23 b761 b3e3dd0b0565?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp&dpr=4
Photo by Ed Anderson
Recipes

Bring Brightness To Your Party With This Hungarian Pimento Cheese Recipe

The following recipe and excerpt for Körözött (Hungarian Pimento Cheese) are from “Second Generation: Hungarian and Jewish Classics Reimagined for the Modern Table” by Jeremy Salamon. It’s available for purchase on Amazon.

The base of this recipe comes from a Hungarian dish, körözött, a spiced cheese spread traditionally made with quark, kind of a chunkier cottage cheese. I grew up in Florida and spent the summers in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, so my love for Southern cooking is genuine and deep. In the summers, we ate a lot of pimento cheese, and I saw a bridge between these two very traditional Hungarian and American foods. (If that’s not the origin story of my cooking, I don’t know what is.) This dip pulls from both sides, with sweet paprika, caraway seeds, and raw onion mingling with a ton of sharp cheddar cheese. It’s a perfect party dip or even better on toasted bread as a late-night sandwich after everyone leaves.

Körözött (Hungarian Pimento Cheese)

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 5 minutesCook time: minutesTotal time: 5 minutesServings:4 cups servings

Instructions

1. Combine the cream cheese, chopped peppers, mustard, lemon juice, kosher salt, caraway seeds, and paprika in a food processor and process for about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed, until you have a smooth mixture. Transfer to a large bowl and gently fold in the cheddar and onion until combined.
  2. To plate: Scrape the körözött into a large serving bowl and garnish with chives, black pepper, and a pinch of flaky salt. Accompany with chips (Ruffles, if you have them) crackers, or toast.
  3. Wine pairing: Try pairing körözött with a fuller-bodied white wine with greener flavors and aged in used oak, like Furmint, Zöldveltelini (Grüner Veltliner), or similar.
Keywords:< 20 Minutes, Cheese, Food, Jewish
Second Generation?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp&dpr=4

From the book SECOND GENERATION by Jeremy Salamon. Copyright 2024 by Jeremy Salamon. Reprinted by permission of HarperCollins Publishers.

Giselle Medina is the associate editor for Spoon University where she helps oversee food coverage of news, pop culture, trends, and celebrities. As someone with a huge sweet tooth, she's always on the hunt for a good chocolate chip cookie. Shoot her an email at gisellemedina@hercampus.com or follow her @giselle_medinaa.