College: the best excuse for everything. Like looking a hot mess all the time and being broke. People understand – you’re in college.

It’s also a time of stress eating and limited pantry access which can sometimes lead to magnificent creations, like this sandwich.

This sandwich was born out of late-night hanger/stress eating desperation while studying organic chemistry many years ago when I was a wee bright-eyed undergrad. I still make it today even as a grad student. Why? Because it’s awesome.

Now, I’m sure I’m not the first person to come up with the concept of peanut butter and chocolate chips on bread, but let me tell you, I felt like a f*cking genius when I came up with it at the time. It’s fast, simple, and oh-so-satisfying.

You can make it vegan and/or GF by selecting the appropriate varieties of chocolate chips and bread. And you can get hella fancy and make it with almond butter or banana slices.

But to me, the OG is simply the best, and in my opinion, the most quintessential college sandwich of all times.

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Sandwich

• Prep Time:2 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:2 minutes

• 2 slices bread (whole wheat for health points)
  • 3 tablespoon peanut butter
  • 3 tablespoon chocolate chips

Separate bread slices and spread peanut butter on bread. Difficult stuff.

Photo by Katherine Baker

Sprinkle chocolate chips on peanut butter. Try not to mess this up.

Photo by Katherine Baker

Place one piece of bread onto the other thereby forming a sandwich. Congratulate yourself on this most prestigious culinary accomplishment and enjoy.

Photo by Katherine Baker