Nuts are my number one go-to snack, whether they’re whole or crushed into that perfect, creamy nut butter. Sure, peanut butter has been around forever, but there’s been hype recently about the new kind of butter that everyone’s been trying: almond butter.

You may roll your eyes as you read this and think to yourself that you’re a loyal peanut butter fan, but trust me, almond butter is kind of life changing. Not only is it insanely delicious, but it’s also better for you than peanut butter and I’m here to tell you why.

1. It’s rich in healthy fats

almond butter

GIF courtesy of k-pop-poppers.tumblr.com

While both almond butter and peanut butter are high in monounsaturated fats, almond butter has slightly less saturated fat than peanut butter (and it’s lower in sodium). When part of a healthy diet, foods rich in monounsaturated fats may help lower blood cholesterol levels, according to the American Heart Association. They might also reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke, as found in this article.

Ever heard of putting almond butter in your chicken soup? Click here to see how to make this heart healthy dish. Plus, almonds (therefore also almond butter) help you study when you’re plugging for midterms or finals.

2. It helps you lose weight

almond butter

Individuals looking to lose weight may want to try eating almond butter. It has been found in a study conducted at Penn that eating nuts, specifically almonds, helps in weight loss and management.

3. It’s full of Vitamin E

almond butter

Almond butter has a nutritional advantage over peanut butter due to its vitamin E content. According to this article, you use vitamin E to protect your cells from oxidative damage.

As an antioxidant, vitamin E can neutralize free radicals, preventing these harmful chemicals from oxidizing your DNA and proteins, which damages your cells. Almond butter contains approximately 4 milligrams of vitamin E per tablespoon, which is 4 times the amount found in peanut butter.

You should learn how to make homemade almond milk, because buying almond milk is overrated, isn’t it?

4. …And magnesium

almond butter

GIF courtesy of phdintvwatching.tumblr.com

A tablespoon of almond butter contains 45 milligrams of magnesium, while a tablespoon of peanut butter contains 26 milligrams. Those 45 milligrams of magnesium in almond butter account for 11 percent of the daily magnesium requirements for men and 14 percent for women, according to the Office of Dietary Supplements.

Magnesium contributes to the function of your nervous system, facilitates muscle contraction, makes up a component of healthy bone tissue and helps support your metabolism.

5. The iron content is insane

almond butter

GIF courtesy of 2mollies.tumblr.com

Opting for almond butter over peanut butter also proves advantageous due to almond butter’s higher iron content. Iron promotes healthy oxygen transport, helping you make hemoglobin and myoglobin, two proteins that oxygenate your tissues.

A tablespoon of almond butter contains 0.6 milligrams of iron, double the amount found in peanut butter. Each tablespoon of almond butter provides 8 percent of the daily iron requirements for men, according to the Linus Pauling Institute, and 3 percent for women.

Check out the definitive ranking of nut butters to see where almond butter stands.

6. It’s got fiber, too

almond butter

Almond butter is also a slightly better source of fiber than peanut butter. One tablespoon of almond butter contains 1.6 grams of fiber, while peanut butter has 0.9 grams. Most Americans don’t get enough fiber in their diet, according to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, so every little bit helps.

Meeting your daily fiber needs, which ranges from 21 to 38 grams of fiber per day depending on your age and gender, might lower your risk of chronic diseases, such as heart disease, and make it easier for you to maintain a healthy weight.

7. It can help prevent heart disease

almond butter

GIF courtesy of masiondelamode.tumblr.com

Almonds, almond butter’s main ingredient, have been found to be particularly helpful at preventing the development of cardiovascular diseases. The fat profile of this tree nut, which is low in saturated fat and high in unsaturated fat, along with its nutrients and phytosterols, all work together to reduce the low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, otherwise known as the bad cholesterol, in the blood.

8. The calorie breakdown tells all

almond butter

GIF courtesy of legitfriends.tumblr.com

Just one cup of peanuts is a whopping 854 calories, while one cup of almonds is 546 calories. This just proves that almond butter, grounded almonds, will be the less caloric and guilt-free option.

9. It regulates your insulin levels

almond butter

GIF courtesy of poorlivingblog.tumblr.com

Individuals with pre-diabetes may benefit from including almond butter in their respective diets. Regularly eating almonds (the same as eating almond butter) appears to positively affect insulin sensitivity. Specifically, in a study published in Metabolism, the consumption of 2 ounces of almonds (about 45 almonds) was associated with lower levels of fasting insulin and fasting glucose.

Go ahead and indulge in every spoonful of almond butter, because it will leave you full and satisfied.